Submissions that have been rejected by the Creativity Pool. - The Docks aren't necessarily the final destination, if a broken idea gets fixed it may travel to a more appropriate category.
By NCoppedge
Automatic code-protection for USB or similar device, for use in widely available public plug-in terminals, as for applications with VR, public interfacing, and specialized data condensation.

The device would use a universal standard interface to make files transferable only to specific types of programs.

The code would gaurantee that only certain types of programs could read the information content. Then the function of the device can be extended so that there is codified integration between different kinds of shared programs.

Reward: I'd like to be in a more integrated society, more intellectual about information.
Last edited by NCoppedge on Wed May 02, 2012 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By joejlitz
This might be a good idea, but I'm not sure what the code is supposed to protect or how it works. Is this different than requiring a password to access the files?

For example, if I have a MS Office document and I want to work on it on my thumb drive at the airport, how would this apply?
By NCoppedge
The code-protection would apply to the automatic transfer of the files when the device is plugged in. This is compatible with the idea of a wireless USB or data-storage patch, etc.

I.e. you could press a button on the data storage device, and the files would be transferred to all compatible locations, or otherwise to all compatible programs on the computer. The difference between password authentication and this code USB is that the password access may be to specific programs, rather than the entire computer, and that access is independent of accessing the USB---the USB transfers the filed onto the computer whether or not there is authentication. But the files might only be accessed with authentication, or not, depending on a selected security clearance, or the files importance, etc.
By Eden
This is a nice idea. I believe it to be a hardware issue. As with the iPhone for example, the have a separate chip that serves as authentication. Although any encryption hardware or software can be cracked with the right amount of resources (often times not worth it, unless terrorism or such). I believe you method with hardware would be that much more secure.

You could probably develop cheap prototypes using offshore manufactures, just by sending them a design or detailed idea concept (if your serious about merchandising then I would not send it to a foreign manufacturer no matter how cheap).
OFFSHORE
Finger Wheel Fidget Toy

A three inch wheel with rubber grip on the outside[…]

Makeover of backyard

Nothing to share but I definitely want to see the […]

Sticking Games

No fantasy but real sports. Professional level foo[…]

This must be very useful information. Thank you ve[…]