The main tank, brimful with ideas. Enjoy them, discuss them, take them. - Of course, this is also the #1 place for new submissions!
By curcro
One of the biggest issues with solar power is finding the land area for it, without wasting usable land. My idea is to use the roads, by building tall platforms that run the length of the road. This would allows dual use of the same space, particularly in the country. In addition, the roads would be safer as it would provide a partial cover to rain, thus preventing some hydroplaning. They already do it in some places with byways, why not solar panels. Add you don't have to destroy usable land or park land to do it.

Reward: Credit and some sort of appreciation. :)
By jodonow
curcro wrote:One of the biggest issues with solar power is finding the land area for it, without wasting usable land. My idea is to use the roads, by building tall platforms that run the length of the road. This would allows dual use of the same space, particularly in the country. In addition, the roads would be safer as it would provide a partial cover to rain, thus preventing some hydroplaning. They already do it in some places with byways, why not solar panels. Add you don't have to destroy usable land or park land to do it.

good idea, but how do you prevent people from stealing such valueable and widelly distributed, easilly accessible, in remote locations, products such as solar panels on roads?
BTW land area is not one of the biggest issue of solar power, there is plenty of desert in the world, and plenty of rooftops that are not being utilized.
By TracyHoward
jodonow wrote:
curcro wrote:One of the biggest issues with solar power is finding the land area for it, without wasting usable land. My idea is to use the roads, by building tall platforms that run the length of the road. This would allows dual use of the same space, particularly in the country. In addition, the roads would be safer as it would provide a partial cover to rain, thus preventing some hydroplaning. They already do it in some places with byways, why not solar panels. Add you don't have to destroy usable land or park land to do it.

good idea, but how do you prevent people from stealing such valueable and widelly distributed, easilly accessible, in remote locations, products such as solar panels on roads?
BTW land area is not one of the biggest issue of solar power, there is plenty of desert in the world, and plenty of rooftops that are not being utilized.
I think solar power is ideal for generating energy. Wrong policies have been made by many countries which is causing hindrance in the use of solar power... We must make use of renewable energy sources.
By TracyHoward
TracyHoward wrote:
jodonow wrote:

I think solar power is ideal for generating energy. Wrong policies have been made by many countries which is causing hindrance in the use of solar power... We must make use of renewable energy sources.
By freerpg
I like the idea but there are several issues, first and foremost is damage to the panels. the constant elements beating down on them, the exhaust from the people under them, this will wear away the panels faster.
second is how high? on country roads bi trucks like passing some carrying cranes and excavators etc
thirdly is the toxic waste that is a byproduct of making the semi conductors used in solar panels
lastly is this is all well and good but what happens at night when there is no sun?

I am a firm believer that making free energy (so no one has to pay except for maintaining) is the most important thing on this planet today. if we can find a way of doing this to help future generations live then this is ideal. but look at what we are using to make half of the products and then you will see that a push bike with an alternator on it is so much better then a lot of the alternatives.
OFFSHORE
Finger Wheel Fidget Toy

A three inch wheel with rubber grip on the outside[…]

Makeover of backyard

Nothing to share but I definitely want to see the […]

Sticking Games

No fantasy but real sports. Professional level foo[…]

This must be very useful information. Thank you ve[…]