The main tank, brimful with ideas. Enjoy them, discuss them, take them. - Of course, this is also the #1 place for new submissions!
By Michael D. Grissom
On the Discovery TV channel it was explained that our dog/cat pets can only see garbage on our TV screens because their eye response is much too fast for the frame rate (pictures per second) that was designed for humans. This was their explanation of why dogs won't even notice "Lassie" on TV. We know that if we changed the frame rate to something else, humans would see various degrees of a flickering picture (like old silent films) and in some cases it would be so bad as to look like garbage. So...

What if we changed the frame rate (while a Lassie tape is looping) until the dog or cat starts noticing. This could be perfected in the local dog pound with a big screen TV.

For those of you who have pets that go nuts when home alone, wouldn't it be nice to be able to push a button on the remote to switch your TV to "Dog/Cat Mode" and pop in their favorite tape before leaving?

This would be an original equipment modification that would probably add about $10 to $30 to the TV's retail depending on circuit design.

Please don't ask about goldfish or gerbil frequencies (yet). ;-)

Reward: One can of "Puppy Breath" scent air freshner.
Attachments
SEE,.. all we have to do is replace that old RCA Victor phonograph with a modified TV.
SEE,.. all we have to do is replace that old RCA Victor phonograph with a modified TV.
RCAdogMovie.jpg (5.29 KiB) Viewed 9297 times
Last edited by Michael D. Grissom on Thu May 08, 2003 12:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
By Steve
Sounds awesome - especially once it'll be available in gerbil mode! :-b

Not sure though if you wouldn't need specially recorded dog movies for that problem (slightly more expensive, but solvable, simply use a VCR that's equipped with this feature). If the dog's eye needs 100 frames per second, but there are only 24 available with the TV transmission, what will the dog see on the other 76 frames? You could repeat each frame 4 times, but then Lassie will become very "bumpy" and I'm not sure if the general pet audience will enjoy such a show. So maybe dog movies would need to be recorded with a special high speed cam?
By Michael D. Grissom
I can already visualize the 'Doggywood' and 'Kittywood" suburbs of Hollywood. ;-D
Last edited by Michael D. Grissom on Mon May 12, 2003 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Steve
I fear that "doggystyle" videos might get mixed up at the local Blockbuster... :-o
By Michael D. Grissom
Yes Steve,... I also fear making too much money. ;-)
Last edited by Michael D. Grissom on Mon May 12, 2003 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Michael D. Grissom
Steve -- I did NOT post the "...too much money" post above.

I think we might have a 'nice' hacker which might be a good thing.

In the hope that he/she will return to view responses, I would like to challenge this 'angle hacker' to follow hacker "MajicFX" and declare FULL SCALE WAR on hoax, scam, and spam sites. Hacker MajicFX is rapidly becoming a national hero by doing this in an unbelievably professional manner. He deletes the entire site and leaves his own home page which describes how the scam works along with the name, address, phone #'s, SS#, credit card #'s, etc. of the perps. I truly wish I could find a way to legally fund 'angle hackers' to do this.

There is also another extremely remote possibility that my room mate did this while I was out tonight.
Last edited by Michael D. Grissom on Mon May 12, 2003 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Steve
I vote for your room mate. :-D On another board, we had a visitor with a MPD (Multiple Personality Disorder). It could get pretty annoying at times because his alter ego used to write very rude posts, but a room mate is ok, I guess... ;-)
By Michael D. Grissom
Don't you ever sleep Steve? -- or are you on the other side of the world?
Last edited by Michael D. Grissom on Mon May 12, 2003 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Steve
I'm a bot - bots don't need to sleep. ;-D

And, yes, I'm a bot from the other side of the world...
By Michael D. Grissom
My room mate confessed.so, I had to change my computers password. Problem solved.
By Steve
What a few red-hot pokers and a torture rack can achieve... :-D
By Michael D. Grissom
I'm just dying to do a cartoon on that last comment Steve. :~(
Last edited by Michael D. Grissom on Mon May 12, 2003 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
By CycoMage
Do it micheal, do it! I'd love to see it! But, wait, you & Steve ain't roomies, are you? :-]
By Steve
Ouch!!! :-o No, I'm happy to say that Mike's torture chamber is several 1,000 miles away! ;-)
By cynet
I saw the same episode, but if it is true that pets see more frames per second then how come when I watch "Funny Videos" some of them contain pets scratching at a tv.
It seems to me they see something.
OFFSHORE
Finger Wheel Fidget Toy

A three inch wheel with rubber grip on the outside[…]

Makeover of backyard

Nothing to share but I definitely want to see the […]

Sticking Games

No fantasy but real sports. Professional level foo[…]

This must be very useful information. Thank you ve[…]