The main tank, brimful with ideas. Enjoy them, discuss them, take them. - Of course, this is also the #1 place for new submissions!
By smellycat
The students these days are too talkative, that's why we have suggested that we should get sound proof cubbies for each student. This way teachers can not only limit the talking amongst the students but also all the outbursts in class. With this process the teacher will have full control over who can talk and his/her voice is projected to each cubby. The teacher could also control who talks to who and whoever sleeps will hear a loud buzzer. We think that teachers should be in some what of control of their class. :)
By Michael D. Grissom
I believe we should never force a student to endure what we as adults would never accept in our own work environment. If you read your history you'll find that students restricted like this develop terrible social skills and have a hard time fitting in after graduation. There are much better and proven ways to control students without turning them into social misfits. If you are a teacher, you should know from history that the harder you clamp down the harder they explode in time. I was married to a teacher for 23 years and studied to be a teacher myself. I have always taken a personal interest in the backgrounds of students that explode or commit suicide or take up a life of crime. There IS a pattern to most.
By cillig
Uh.. smellycat, just because YOU don't want to do your job... don't punish the kids!

CPS ought to check this person out! I don't want her/him (probsbly a nasty old witch) anywhere near my kid!

Smellycat, see a doctor... it is not supposed to stink down there.
By Rishi
Even now, in India the teacher student relationship is something special. The teacher is also a student. All that he can claim is perhaps that he has trvelled a bit further along the road than the student. Any control exists only through the teacher's own mastery over what is taught.

Probably the students talk too much because the teacher is not saying anything worth listening to.

May be smelly cat wants a virtual class room. The teacher can face a bank of monitors, one for each student and interactively deal with each. The student stays home and can talk only with the teacher.

This system has the great advantage that the student can mute the teacher while seeming to be engrossed in the teaching. With a split screen monitor he/she can be simultaneously watching his/her favourite programme. All can be happy.

Rishi
By Llewella
Smellycat's proposal sounds as an attempt to create the "brave new world" in schools..

Cubbies for students? To disable their communication with others?? I just couldn't believe someone thought this might be a good idea! This is my first post EVER, I had to react on that..

Teachers should teach interesting stuff! Or find ways to make any topic interesting. And that's possible if you know your students well and see the general purpose of teaching.
I agree with Rishi - good teacher is a student, too, a learner himself/ herself. From students' 'noises' can be found out a lot! About the topic, about your students and about your teaching methods.. Don't be deaf for the sounds students make in your classroom - they can teach you a lot.
Not to mention that a good teacher wants to provoke discussions among students - that is actually the only way to learn something - by activating your brain cells and not by just sitting and appearing to be listening..

I just hope that totalitarian and completely non-sensitive and under-educated ministers of education and principals don't visit this site - they are the only ones I can imagine to agree with this idea and, god forbid, try to put it in practice!
By Steve
Llewella wrote:I just hope that totalitarian and completely non-sensitive and under-educated ministers of education and principals don't visit this site!
Hey, there are tons of liberal and sensitive ideas on this site, too! :-D I just don't try to filter based on my own preferences, because that's for everyone to decide individually. ;-)
By Llewella
I just don't try to filter based on my own preferences, because that's for everyone to decide individually. ;-)
of course everyone should decide for him/ herself, I didn't want to promote censorship :)
By Beezy3
I'm a student in school myself and I have to say that I would hate school if I couldn't talk to my friends. When we're bored in class my friends and I start chain notes. That wouldn't work!
By Rishi
Beezy3 wrote:I'm a student in school myself and I have to say that I would hate school if I couldn't talk to my friends. When we're bored in class my friends and I start chain notes. That wouldn't work!
Studies are a serious matter having long term implications. You should never be bored in school. It is the teacher's fault if the class bores students. If you are the only one bored, then you may have to consider doing something else are go to a school meant for gifted students.

rishi
By Beezy3
I did attend a class for gifted math students but the teacher left.
By shanski
Rishi, You make a pretty bold statement when you say that students don't listen because their teacher is not saying anything worth listening to. I can tell by this that you are not a teacher yourself. Come back and comment on this forum when you have attempted to teach a group of 30 elementary school students , who all have unique and diverse learning needs a governement implemented curriculum, while attending to the expectations of administration, colleagues, the school board, parents, the community., and society in general.

I am not saying that I agree with the invention per say, however I think that these types of tools can be useful for particullar learning situations - Never an entire day of class-based learning.
By Rishi
shanski wrote:Rishi, You make a pretty bold statement when you say that students don't listen because their teacher is not saying anything worth listening to. I can tell by this that you are not a teacher yourself. Come back and comment on this forum when you have attempted to teach a group of 30 elementary school students , who all have unique and diverse learning needs a governement implemented curriculum, while attending to the expectations of administration, colleagues, the school board, parents, the community., and society in general.

I am not saying that I agree with the invention per say, however I think that these types of tools can be useful for particullar learning situations - Never an entire day of class-based learning.
Been teaching for half a century now.
Rishi
By shanski
Wow, I am pretty amazed that you believe every student you teach finds everything you say worthwhile. You are either disillusioned about your abilities and your students, or you are the one person that has accomplished what every on this planet teacher strives for. I think that I can safely say with agreeance from all of the teachers that I know that this level of perfection is not possible.

If your students could all decide which of the information that you are presenting is worthwhile then you would be out of the job - they would already know what is important . The fact of the matter is that some students are not intrisincly motivated to learn - no matter how the curriculum is taught. Does that mean you give up? Absolutely not. You continue with hope that one day you reach them. Even if it is with one small tidbit of information that is interesting, an activity that inspires them, or maybe you can acheive the ultimate goal and instill that love of learning during some type of learning/teaching epiphany.

I think that is important to be realistic in our abilities - you will never reach every student in your class with absolute success but you can sure try. The ones that you do reach make the job so worthwhile and the challenge of what you claim to achieve is what keeps me going. One day everything I teach will be so enthralling that every last student in my class will stand up and say "Teacher, the words you speak are so worth listening to!".
OFFSHORE
Finger Wheel Fidget Toy

A three inch wheel with rubber grip on the outside[…]

Makeover of backyard

Nothing to share but I definitely want to see the […]

Sticking Games

No fantasy but real sports. Professional level foo[…]

This must be very useful information. Thank you ve[…]