The perfect place for ideas that are totally insane, making them far too hot to be thrown away.
By stephan d
This idea is based on my theoretical perpetuial motion machine, wait-don't go, it might really work. Here's how; a small tube has a coiled section running into a straight section, the coiled end is perminetly held under liquid, the coil rises then turns down into the straight section which doesn't reach the liquid. It works like a siphon and uses centrifical force to lessen the force of gravity on the rising fluid. In theory perpetualy dripping. :-?
By Michael D. Grissom
The output end (straight section) must be below the input end (coiled section) for any siphon to work. Also, what is the purpose of coiling the input end? From your description, a prototype would be just as quick to build as it was to write your suggestion so, why not try it? Coil a flexible tube up in your full bathroom sink and then try to get it to siphon while the output end is above the sink water level. If you succeed, you will have defied the laws of physics and changed the world forever! Not bad for 5 minutes work eh?
By stephan d
The purpose of the coil is to rotate the rising fluid, as you know when a gyroscope is spinning in seems to weigh less. The spinning water in a flushing toilet was my inspiration, I should get out more :-o Methinks you should build it if you think it's soo easy :~( I coudn't get it done with disposable things already in my apartment, and you know how wives are- "You're not waistin' anymore 'o my ***dam mony on yer crackpot ideas!"
By Michael D. Grissom
Problem is that when a gyro spins it does NOT weigh less -- it weighs the same. If you turn the spinning water into the open end of the coiled tube (bottom), the ram effect of the incoming water would allow you to get water flow out of the other straight end (top) even if slightly above water level but it wouldn't be a "siphon" effect. Water would only flow because of the ram effect. The problem with the ram effect is that it takes more power to spin the water than you can produce with the output water. You will also be losing power due to the friction of the water against the tubing walls when flowing. All combined you will lose far more than you gain in the whole process.

A bit off the subject but, do you know why water always spins CCW (Counter Clock Wise) when it goes down a drain? Even if you try to start it in the CW (Clock Wise) direction it will reverse back to CCW if there is enough time. There is a definite reason for this and it has nothing to do with how drains are designed and it happens 'almost' everywhere in the world.
By cynet
I wonder if perpetuial motion is possible in space?
If so is it possible to create perpetuial motion in a vaccume on earth?
By Michael D. Grissom
If you don't count the energy necessary to get the wheel in space spinning you can come awfully close to a wheel that will spin almost infinately but to use the wheel to recreate the energy needed to initially get it spinning would stop the wheel.

You're right though in thinking that you can get much closer to forever (not perpetual) motion in the vacuum of space or a vacuum on earth because you are eliminating one of the frictional loses.

If a toy 'top' were perfectly balanced and magnetically suspended in a perfect vacuum glass sphere, you could watch it spin forever.

You just gave me an idea for posting a "perpetual motion" cartoon in the Creativity Pool section -- watch for it.
By stephan d
But when a gyro spins it seems to weigh less. So, water is less likely to spin at all at the equator? Does anyone know if the speed of earth is decelerating?
By Steve
Michael D. Grissom wrote:A bit off the subject but, do you know why water always spins CCW (Counter Clock Wise) when it goes down a drain? Even if you try to start it in the CW (Clock Wise) direction it will reverse back to CCW if there is enough time. There is a definite reason for this and it has nothing to do with how drains are designed and it happens 'almost' everywhere in the world.
Michael D's inventor's trivia. :-D Guess that's because of the earth rotation, with exception of the physical North and South poles.
By Michael D. Grissom
FRACKA*beep*SACKARACKA*beep**beep**beep*AND*beep*YOU*beep*ING*beep*OF A*beep*BLASTED*beep*BRAKASACKAFRAKKA*beep*'N'*beep*'ER OF A*beep*GRRRRR ..........er.....I mean.....in other words..... you guess pretty gosh darn good Steve. :-? :-P :~(
By stephan d
I've heard there are no hurricanes at the equator.
By Rishi
Even climbers and creepers(Plants-I mean) also twine around CCW in the Northern Hemisphere. I have not been down under. But in the Southern Hemisphere it is CW including cyclones. Coriolis effect I think.

Rishi
By Highguard01
well the way i heard it alternating energy goes both ways so your recpticles would be both ways. maybe terabites could spark the world all from manhatan
nikola tesla did better then this youtube his work lil less then 100 years ago. or they lie an it goes out top making it ac not dc
OFFSHORE
Finger Wheel Fidget Toy

A three inch wheel with rubber grip on the outside[…]

Makeover of backyard

Nothing to share but I definitely want to see the […]

Sticking Games

No fantasy but real sports. Professional level foo[…]

This must be very useful information. Thank you ve[…]