The main tank, brimful with ideas. Enjoy them, discuss them, take them. - Of course, this is also the #1 place for new submissions!
By cynet
I was just thinking about the future of Flat Screen TV's. Understanding that more screens are being made out of plastic emulsions gave me an interesting idea.

Most of us understand the concept of a LCD clock that you see through. Well if you filled the clock with color dots this would create a very thin color TV. About the size and weight of two pieces of paper. The problem is it would have to work one-hundred percent of the time. Otherwise you would begin to see through the screen.

3D: Now place a 20 or 30 screens, behind that screen. Not a redundancy system, but a 3D system. Pictures would transfer themselves from screen to screen. Pictures would seem to jump forth just like in the movies, but without the glasses. Way Cool!

Reward: Product of course, and a state of the art sound system; 7.1, and a vibrating couch.
By cillig
You would have to offset the screens to give the 3d effect, but the problem remains with the focal point of the human eye. Regardless of the screens transparency, the light from the picture would cause a reflection creating the focalpoint on the first screen.

The way that you describe it, you would receive no 3d "visual", only a thick border around the outline of each object. You would have to use shading of some type to give the true effect. An object is not 3d with a fill light because no shadow is cast.

It is all geometry. You have a plane filled with lines those lines make are all on that plane, thus you have a 2d image. I can see how it would be confusing because of the theory of a plane making somthing 3d.
By Rishi
Cillig is right.
If cynet's idea has to work one may have to work on the principles of a hologram.

The human eye responds to what is called a wave front of scattered light from the objects.(Of course from light emitted by the object itself if it is a light bulb, or the sun etc).

The hologram is a captured image of the wave front produced by a laser. The way cynet's flat screen 3D TV can be made to work is if a real time holographic image can be televised then a transparent LCD panel can recreate the hologram. All that is needed to view is a low power laser light from behind the screen to project the wave front to the viewer's eye.

The great thing about the wave front is that it is very real. There is no way one can differentiate this image from the real thing. If the viewer moves around he/she can see the sides of the object too, which one cannot in a normal 3D image.

The catch is that so far holograms are made in monochrome and over a limited field of view. But technology will catch up. When it does, we are in for a really great experience.

Rishi
By cynet
The way I was going to create the 3D effect was for example: each pixel would have a like pixel behind, and to the left or right , top or bottom - of the pixel in front. Creating a triangular effect of each pixel. For a certain distance, a inch or so. Would that work? It would create a 3D effect within the screen but you guys would know more about if the eye could preceive that effect. Plus I realize now pixels inside a "Square" would not be seen. Best application might be for a modler, or solid product design.
By Rishi
There are a large number of 3D modelling software like PRO-E. But all these give a2D representation of a 3D object. Each eye sees only 2D. It is the brain that combines these slightly different views and interprets them as a 3D scene. What cynet wants is more ambitious and more exciting if it can be realized without special glasses and such.

If a cube of a 'Screen' can be imagined with pixels like 800 pixels in the X-axis, 600 in the Y, and say, 600 in the Z axis, and each one is separately activated then we can see a true 3D. But not as a flat screen. It will be terrific though

Rishi
By Deceptive Geko
I cant find much wrong with this idea. WHen the technology becomes cheap enough and the fcc directs television stations to conform to this new form of broadcasting, it would be a great experience. Best of all, it would also probably be possible to convert older "pre 3d" films to this by assigning depth to each pixel (this would take an incredibly long time however). I would imagine though that if you sat at a strange angle to the tv, you would be actually missing some parts of the film as they would be blocked behind other objects. Still... if we had the technology, this would be great.
OFFSHORE
Finger Wheel Fidget Toy

A three inch wheel with rubber grip on the outside[…]

Makeover of backyard

Nothing to share but I definitely want to see the […]

Sticking Games

No fantasy but real sports. Professional level foo[…]

This must be very useful information. Thank you ve[…]