The main tank, brimful with ideas. Enjoy them, discuss them, take them. - Of course, this is also the #1 place for new submissions!
By daruku
Hi, here in Argentina, good laptop computers are uncommonly expensive and impossible to buy. My concept is simple. Make this technology accessible to a large number of people by removing all the expensive parts from the notebook.

For example: the screen. No I’m not joking. So, the tiny screen cost a lot? Remove it. I would gladly use any TV screen as a replacement. Like playstation. I know is not as mobile as one regular notebook, an it doesn’t look as good, but is better than pc. I could move it from place to place, take it to other places, other houses, everybody has TV. All I want is a powerful processor and a decent hdd. It could have a wireless keyboard or one long retractable tv cable.

Sorry for the lousy English, I think is a great idea anyway.

Reward: Nothing
By Michael D. Grissom
First, your second language english is much better than you think. A lot of people born and raised here in the US do not speak or type as well as you just did in your post here.

Second, your idea is excellent! The LCD screen is at least 1/2 (one half) of the total cost of most notebooks. In the US new notebooks have a maximum bad pixel limit which is sometimes barely noticeable but not acceptable to sell here. These are either scrapped for spare parts, or have that expensive screen replaced, or sold for about 40% off the original price. You might want to consider contacting the marketing department of a company like eMachines (lowest cost notebooks but very good quality) and ask them what it would cost to purchase notebooks manufactured or returned with unacceptable numbers of bad pixels. You might be able to get these directly from the manufacturer at half the original cost thus accomplishing your goal AND having the LCD attached. Best Buy stores in the US send about 1000 notebooks a week back to the manufacturer for this bad pixel problem. Buying these as-is from them would be great for them and even greater for the people of Argentina! It's a win-win deal.
;-D ;-D ;-D
By enclaim1986
I like your idea. its got a lot of potential.
but its got a number of flaws
It kinda only applies to the specification you designed for it . like you only wanting a hard drive etc.
unfortunatey man y ppl dont use the laptop the way that you do . Bussiness men , students etc . they us em on the move or in place u dont usuall y get tv screens like librarys. At home if your living with your family they probably wont let u use the scrrenm as uch as u want. if u live alone you'll probably say. "hey i got a tv so idont have that problem." well then u should have got a lap top with added features such as web tv which would be approx the same cost. in short (tv + your invention == laptop + web tv).
By myst1q
They already have these kinda PCs called zero footprint PCs.
http://cybernetman.com/default.cfm/DocId/602.htm

enclaim1986 wrote:I like your idea. its got a lot of potential.
but its got a number of flaws
It kinda only applies to the specification you designed for it . like you only wanting a hard drive etc.
unfortunatey man y ppl dont use the laptop the way that you do . Bussiness men , students etc . they us em on the move or in place u dont usuall y get tv screens like librarys. At home if your living with your family they probably wont let u use the scrrenm as uch as u want. if u live alone you'll probably say. "hey i got a tv so idont have that problem." well then u should have got a lap top with added features such as web tv which would be approx the same cost. in short (tv + your invention == laptop + web tv).
By boyofbigthoughts
Depending if you know the hardware of computers or not, this is a somewhat easy job to acheive. It is actually very similar to connecting a stereo to a computer. You would need a connector, a small single peice...you could make on your own...you could steal the color codings from the networking world and test them. A harder part might come in when you want to transfer the built connector to the labtop, then to the TV. To make life easier you could take some coper wound wirings and connect that way(very unsafe but whatever). Then use color soding cords from DVD players or stereo's, or go buy one for around 5 bucks(American)....e-mail me, I could be of some service....I am not exact, but I mean well.
By Solens_van
A laptop without the screen reminds me very much of the old computers Amstrad, Spectrum or Commodore 64, that you had to plug into the TV and they consisted basically of a keyboard (which included the CPU) with a tape recorder to store data on audio tapes.

You can see what a spectrum looked like here:
http://www.old-computers.com/museum/com ... st=1&c=949

And a Commodore 64 here:
http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?c=98
OFFSHORE
Finger Wheel Fidget Toy

A three inch wheel with rubber grip on the outside[…]

Makeover of backyard

Nothing to share but I definitely want to see the […]

Sticking Games

No fantasy but real sports. Professional level foo[…]

This must be very useful information. Thank you ve[…]