The main tank, brimful with ideas. Enjoy them, discuss them, take them. - Of course, this is also the #1 place for new submissions!
Just recently my father's van was stolen from our driveway; with over 5,000 dollars of tools inside. We did report it to the police, but living among the millions of people who also live in Denver, and the fact that it has been four days, my dad considers it a tragic loss.

Lojack would have been a great but now it's to late.

I am proposing a simple cell phone system that would benefit tragic loss, missing persons, advance weather warning, and everything you need to know right at your fingertips. With the advent of cell phones that can display pictures, "and video" people could buy into a system that gives you alerts to your specific area. Kinda like the new "MSN direct watch" (see http://www.msn.com).

Let's say your local bank was robbed and the bank got a good picture of the thief. The bank in conjection with news, and police, would use your phone to alert you to this. If your car was stolen, give the police a picture and within minutes everyone with a picture phone are scanning the highways and byways for a certain vehicle. Just got hijacked? Take a quick picture of the suspect! Or your car driving away. If you can.

What about the innocent? Let the police handle that. And if you'r edoing anything wrong, you deserve to have your face pasted up for the public to see.

It would be like a reverse 911 for cell phones. "Calling ALL cars" suspect on the lose at fifth and main!

Reward: A cool picture phone, and the service, of course.
By sevenizm
Ok ok ok. I like it. Its sort of big brotherish but, not the government watching us. Us watching Us.

The tehcnicalities:

The images must be braodcast sort of locally @ least statewide. You don't want to be shown any crimes 500 miles away (well maybe you do..).

It should be like the emergency broadcast system. When something is happenening, the system should have its own alert (everyone should recogize the alert so that if they don't have a cel phone the still will be interested in "what going on"

Simutainious broadcast on all local television.

All cell phones should participate so everyone gets the same info at once.

Some photo need to be on file for instant access of image when needed. Take pictures of car, jewlry, family members, anything that can wind up missing and keep them on file. When something happens, upload file to police and let them handle the rest.

If this works it will change the face law enforcement. Never will a criminal think he can get away, because someone always sees something. Now they can report it.
By PASSAGES
The idea is fantastic. I would be the first to take part if there is a system like that. I can even see more prompt and accurate policing operations. Saves tax money, and community will also be more responsible - now who can wear the bell around the cat??
By Steve
SMS "manhunt" has already been tried in Germany and was recently cancelled due to lack of interest. Over the course of 10 months, only 1132 people signed up to participate, and while the police tried to utilize their little "network" in 20 cases, they never received even a single SMS. ;-7
By ABBG
Steve wrote:SMS "manhunt" has already been tried in Germany and was recently cancelled due to lack of interest. Over the course of 10 months, only 1132 people signed up to participate, and while the police tried to utilize their little "network" in 20 cases, they never received even a single SMS. ;-7
"If at first you don't succeed - try try try again!"
OFFSHORE
Finger Wheel Fidget Toy

A three inch wheel with rubber grip on the outside[…]

Makeover of backyard

Nothing to share but I definitely want to see the […]

Sticking Games

No fantasy but real sports. Professional level foo[…]

This must be very useful information. Thank you ve[…]