The main tank, brimful with ideas. Enjoy them, discuss them, take them. - Of course, this is also the #1 place for new submissions!
By *[SAL]*Irish8Ball
This is a new and improved students desk. The desk will be standard student desk but with a couple extra features. The desk will contain a labtop computer built into it. The labtop will serve as all the students paper. When he/she is to hand in an assignment, they will place it into the correct folder on the computer hardrive. The teacher will have acess to all the files so he/she can correct them. This will help us cut down on the amount of paper we use. An opional feature that the school can put into these desks for students with good grades will be to put a television set into the desk. It will be removable so that they principal can take it away. The television will serve as a learning device for whatever subject the student is learning at that time and a reward for good behavior in class.
By sugartaspice
That would be very expensive for schools to purchase especially during the large deficit that we are in.
By samUnion
if it's permanently attached, why use a laptop? An SFF, or custom built desktop would be much cheaper.
By Engi-nerd
What happens when the network is down or computers are not functioning properly? I guess "the dog at my homework" would be replaced by kids saying "sorry my computer crashed".
It would work at a college level but kids bring their own laptops and submit assignments online already.
By n12
umm just sayin that the poin of a lapyop is that you carry it around you are not supposed to keep it in the same place . also desks are not used much anyome all the classes atwere used to go to scholl at had tables not desks and schollds have no money fort this (as previously stated) and if they did they wouldnt buy this. and what aout kids stealing this stuff
By n12
n12 wrote:umm just sayin that the poin of a lapyop is that you carry it around you are not supposed to keep it in the same place . also desks are not used much anyome all the classes atwere used to go to scholl at had tables not desks and schollds have no money fort this (as previously stated) and if they did they wouldnt buy this. and what aout kids stealing this stuff
sorry about the mispelling was in a hurry
By sneezyalex
My school has handed out laptops to EVERY kid in the school. We get to keep them until the end of the year. They are real helpful. We are the only school in the state to get laptops. :-P :-P :-P
By matthewroberts
Umm, Sneezyalex, ...maryland is not that big of a state. not impressed

Irish8ball, I think you have a GREAT idea.

Here's an affordable twist:
With the introduction of LCD monitors, the older, large tube monitors have become rather inexpensive. Solving the inaffordability crunch.

Run a shell-unit at each desk with the large monitor. Many computers would lead to many errors (i.e. my computer ate my homework) But you're running all your computers off of one server, less problems. A simple back up HD or tape drive solves the majority of problems.

Classrooms are bar-none the greatest one spot you can source paper waste at.
I'm all for your idea. GREAT THINKING.

We had a similar system to this in elementary school. We'd log onto the server to work (i.e. our digital signature pointed to whoever did what that day).
OFFSHORE
Finger Wheel Fidget Toy

A three inch wheel with rubber grip on the outside[…]

Makeover of backyard

Nothing to share but I definitely want to see the […]

Sticking Games

No fantasy but real sports. Professional level foo[…]

This must be very useful information. Thank you ve[…]