The main tank, brimful with ideas. Enjoy them, discuss them, take them. - Of course, this is also the #1 place for new submissions!
By Jon1985
I noticed on just about every fish tank I've seen, a lot of the glass gets covered in algae and it takes a lot of time to clean. The glass of the tank could be covered in something which plants won't grow on.

I know it sounds simple and someone's probobly already thought of it but I haven't seen anything around like that.

Reward: Free product
By Rishi
Any coating can wear off in time. The problem would recur. Many chemical manufacturers (Glaxo, Bayer etc.) make non-toxic algi-cides. One can try these after monitoring if the fish are affected in any way.

Rishi
By Steve
I noticed that when there's a scratch in the glass, the algae really love to grow there. So I would assume that for growing on a surface, they need some sort of crevice where they can find hold. So maybe it's possible to make glass or some other material so smooth that they can simply find nothing to hold on to? :-?
By Rishi
Hole in one, Steve. That's exactly how it is. Any roughness provides an anchor, or a nucleation site if you want to put it that way. Once a little bit gets a toe hold this starts collecting friends and relatives, form a colony, stands for election- what not. If you could produce an absolutely smooth surface then algae will not start. A liquid covered surface is what they call 'labile', which is smooth at a molecular level.

The solution would probably be a hydro-phobic, very high viscosity coating, which can be sprayed on to the inner surface of such containers. The coating can be diluted by a suitable carrier for spraying or one can design the coating to be formed only after it is sprayed and reacts with air.

I agree with you from your other posting that it is stimulating to speculate.

Regards,
Rishi
By mtd28student
put a snail in the tank.
By deeparch
Another possibility would be to add a compound/chemical to the glass during production that would discourage algae from growing. Of course this compound would need to be insoluable in water (and saltwater) and nontoxic to desired biota. It might take more than one compound to reduce most of the algal taxa.
By jessup
This is a great idea!. ;-D i know that for the slightly slovenly people such as my sister who owns a fish in a tank, this ides could save the poor fishes life!

Whenever i visit her i stick my hand in the tank and wipe the alge off. the snail idea is pretty good too though....or even a sucker fish does a good job. Mabey someone could even incorprate an anti-fungal glass and you could buy special tanks.
good idea.
OFFSHORE
Finger Wheel Fidget Toy

A three inch wheel with rubber grip on the outside[…]

Makeover of backyard

Nothing to share but I definitely want to see the […]

Sticking Games

No fantasy but real sports. Professional level foo[…]

This must be very useful information. Thank you ve[…]