The main tank, brimful with ideas. Enjoy them, discuss them, take them. - Of course, this is also the #1 place for new submissions!
By Tom Gwiazda
Why cant they have a movie theater where you can bring your own movie in to be played on the big screen. Sometimes seeing the movie on the TV is not good enough but you didn't get the chance to see it on the big screen. It would be like rent a theater. You could rent it for 10 or 20 bucks, bring 10 of your friends and the movie theater can list it in the paper so maybe other people could see it too. They could pay 2 to 3 bucks. I would love to see Jaws or some of the other 20,000 I didn't get to see again. There are movie theaters in every town that are closed since the big giants came in. I would love to see this happen.

Reward: Free entry.
By Steve
Cool idea! Where I live, a lot of the old movie theaters are closing down because they are building those huge cineplexes at the city limits.

It would be a great idea to save some of the old theaters. But not for charity sakes, you could really have a ball!!!

Does anyone know if DVD quality is good enough for the big screen?
By duh
and they should let us take our cassettes and CD's to the radio stations and play them too....and our home videos to the TV stations...and....and...
By matthewfelgate
You could set up a cinema where you can vote online for what movie will be shown at different times on different days? *-)
By kayakdude32
sounds like a good idea but it has one problem that unfortunatly kills it. i'd love for someone to come up with an idea aroun dthis though so if you thinnk of a way please let me know.
The problem is this: In the begginning of each film there is something saying it cant be copied yada yada yada but what it also says is that it cannot be shown in public without the consent of certain people usually miramax and other studios.
however, since i wrote this i thought of something else. someone else came up with the idea of "movies on demand" which exists but its a vast database of movies shown privately in your home. well if you could arrange it with all the major studios that they get a cut of each showing of their film then it just might be possible. but you would have to make it so they are on good terms with you and you can show one of their movies without getting consent from them first cause you cant wait that long. but they need to have confidence that they'll be getting a check. thats all from me!
By barnold999
Alright, not to be a downer, but financially it cant work.

$10 to rent it? Say the complex have 8 theatres... that is $80 at one time, 3 showings during each day the week, 6 showings each day on the weekend (maybe), that is $2160 a week, of oppened everyday, that brings in 112k gross a year.

Though, most theatres currently have 35 mm projectors, so to make it so you can play VHS, at cheapest will be $40,000 per theatre, 8 theatres that is $320k, so it will take 3 years in gross profits to earn that back. But you also need people to work there. There needs to be someone to operate the equipment, that may be one or two people. So, at only $25k/yr (say they are part time employees) that is $50k a year for two people... that brings net down to $50k, but then the complex will cost a few million to build or quit a bit more than a few thousand a month to rent.

And, yes, cause of legal regulatuions, you cant show videos on video tape to the public, you have to pay licensing fees. To give you an idea, to show second run movies to a school group (or other non profit) of around 300 is $300 per showing. It just is not economically feasible.
By Rishi
Steve wrote:Cool idea! Where I live, a lot of the old movie theaters are closing down because they are building those huge cineplexes at the city limits.

It would be a great idea to save some of the old theaters. But not for charity sakes, you could really have a ball!!!

Does anyone know if DVD quality is good enough for the big screen?
The original idea was to see an old movie on a big screen. There are many projectors currently in use for presentation that do this with all sorts of digital data. Would a hiring service for such a projector solve the problem, including the copyright one mentioned about Private v. public viewing? Such a facility exists in Bangalore.

rishi
By mrf
if the major theaters could agree with the movie owners they may be able to come up with a royalty on only movies 5 years or older. they could only show them at times that are right before or after normal hours. and have maybe voting on what to show. you could also pitch the same idea to show your family movies for a reunion or student made movies.
By calthomson
not cinemas, buy a projector and pitch it to every hipster bar in your area a movie night of old cult classics
OFFSHORE
Finger Wheel Fidget Toy

A three inch wheel with rubber grip on the outside[…]

Makeover of backyard

Nothing to share but I definitely want to see the […]

Sticking Games

No fantasy but real sports. Professional level foo[…]

This must be very useful information. Thank you ve[…]