The main tank, brimful with ideas. Enjoy them, discuss them, take them. - Of course, this is also the #1 place for new submissions!
By Ian Walls
It is now possible to use triangulation from base stations to determine the position of a mobile phone. A useful application of this would be to create 'no-phone' zones, where a signal could be sent to the mobile to switch it off when it is within a designated area.

This could apply to theatres, hospitals, military bases: indeed any location where the user is instructed to switch their mobile off.

Reward: No more interuptions in the theatre
By Steve
Nice one! ;-D
By Michael D. Grissom
Yep,... I really like this one too.

Cell phones have been linked to ignitions while refueling at gas stations and gun powder plants blowing up as well (or so they speculate). It might be difficult though to keep the range that accurate so that it doesn't effect a cell phone only a few feet outside the "dead zone". Someone's going to make a lot of money if this is invented. ;-D
By Michael D. Grissom
If it helps your cause, I just remembered a way to PRINT a cell phone frequency (any frequency) barrier pattern on wall paper or the like. Cell frequencies can NOT penetrate it. Total absorbsion! I once used this for the opposite purpose --> attracting specific radio frequencies into an area. In your case, you need only connect my wall paper antenna grid to ground to create a 'dead zone'. You just inspired me to an alternative use for one of my oldest inventions (not patented). Free to use however you wish - just ask for the details if you intend to pursue your idea. THANK YOU!
By zyx Rationalist
just detect the dam frequency and scramble it
By Michael D. Grissom
That would work but it would also scramble that common carrier frequency for people outside the intended dead zone as well. Cell phones don't look for a frequency like ham or business band radios, they look for their own specific digital address imbedded on a common carrier frequency. Scramble that and nobody can receive a call within the 'scrambled zone'.
:~(
By myst1q
This is already available from http://www.phonejammer.com/, to jam cellular phones in specific zones.
Ian Walls wrote:It is now possible to use triangulation from base stations to determine the position of a mobile phone. A useful application of this would be to create 'no-phone' zones, where a signal could be sent to the mobile to switch it off when it is within a designated area.

This could apply to theatres, hospitals, military bases: indeed any location where the user is instructed to switch their mobile off.

Reward: No more interuptions in the theatre
By Mobius1
Actually this is a very interesting topic considering the seriousness of actions carried out by spectators at the snooker World Championship in Shieffield, UK

Everyone knows that in a game of snooker, there is a requirement for absolute silence. However, a number of individuals left their phones on, even when told to turn them off by the referee. You had endless snooker games with constant disruptions from mobile phone users who cared only for themselves.

I would love to see a complete lock-down on the usage of mobile phones in areas such as sport, theatre. It would mean alot to me (simply because I dispise mobile phones) but more importantly, it would mean alot to people who pay hard coin for quality sport.

;-D
Noel
By acemarc
:-)

Already seen commercial signal JAMMERS. This is used in restaurants, movie houses, churches etc.
By malbe
Nice idea, at least you dont have to worry about forgeting to turn off your cell phone in no phone area. Its so embrassing if somebody called you up, and caught you in no-phone area.
OFFSHORE
Finger Wheel Fidget Toy

A three inch wheel with rubber grip on the outside[…]

Makeover of backyard

Nothing to share but I definitely want to see the […]

Sticking Games

No fantasy but real sports. Professional level foo[…]

This must be very useful information. Thank you ve[…]