The main tank, brimful with ideas. Enjoy them, discuss them, take them. - Of course, this is also the #1 place for new submissions!
By Steve
There are several European countries (Ireland, Norway) where you're not allowed to smoke in public bars. However, the law isn't explicitly against smoking in bars, it just says that smoking at the work place is prohibited - and bars are the working places of bar tenders and waiters.

The obvious solution would be to create automatic bars - places where nobody works and you can buy the beer by tossing coins into a slot machine. Or put the barmaids into a plexiglass box where they can breathe fresh air while their customers can smoke. The glass box would have a "beergate" so they could pass out beer without having to breathe the same air.

Reward: Free beer at the pubs
By Janfitc
I like this a lot, in a ll of it's aspects. The automated bar sounds great - Two Words: Beer Jukebox!!!!

Also, why do the bartenders need to be in the same open locations as the patrons? Gas station attendants have bullet-proof glass between them and their customers, why can't the bartenders?

And how about outdoor pubs? Like a walk-up or Drive-thru window at a gated outdoor establishment.
By Michael D. Grissom
It's probably going to come down to this in the end as the war against smoking gains momentum.

There is a company here in the Research Triangle Park that displayed the prototype of their new coin op bar at the North Carolina State University Senior Engineering Design Fair (whew!). This means that a market is forseen.

Personally, I think a living bartender can make all the difference in the world. I've frequented the same bar for over 15 years just because Tammy is the bartender. :-P mmmmmmmmm mmm
By alan5953
This is a terrible idea. It will protect the workers, but what about the customers who want to enjoy a drink without having to breathe deadly secondhand smoke? Smokers have the right to kill themselves, not anyone else.

Indoor smoking bans are just beginning. The trend is moving outdoors, where secondhand smoke can be just as bad. Calabassas, CA has already taken the lead in banning outdoor smoking. I'm looking forward to the day when smokers are treated like the drug addicts they are and not allowed to harm and kill others.
By Rishi
alan5953 wrote:This is a terrible idea. It will protect the workers, but what about the customers who want to enjoy a drink without having to breathe deadly secondhand smoke? Smokers have the right to kill themselves, not anyone else.

Indoor smoking bans are just beginning. The trend is moving outdoors, where secondhand smoke can be just as bad. Calabassas, CA has already taken the lead in banning outdoor smoking. I'm looking forward to the day when smokers are treated like the drug addicts they are and not allowed to harm and kill others.
I am an outsider in this discussion since I am a teetotaller and I gave up smoking forty years back. Still, I want to take up cudgels on behalf of the Guzzlers of the Brew and Puffers of the Weed. I firmly believe that each one has a right to go to the Warm Place in his/her own way. (Bangalore at 34 degC at 7 pm feels like a preview of the Warm Place.)

In our medical device factories we have special clean rooms that are maintained at a higher pressure than the lower level clean rooms to ensure that there is no contamination of the high pressure zone from the other side. This can be adapted in this instance.

There is even a simpler expedient, which is used in large hospitals with multiple operating theatres in one large hall. This is an air curtain that maintains an invisible barrier between two zones. Many malls also have these curtains. This has the advantage of allowing unrestricted movement without a physical barrier, albeit a transparent Perspex one, separating the saints and the sinners.

Rishi
By colleenf
what if you turned this on its head and opened a 'smoking bar'. a place for smokers only, smoking bar tenders, smoking patrons and then you served beer, wine,whatever. I am a non smoker, but i cant understand why smokers cannot be left alone to do their own thing. have you ever seen a smoked up smoker that puts his cigarette out in your eye becauseyou said the wrong thing in the wrong tone????? have you ever seen an out of control smoker in a car weaving and bobbing across the highway????? have there ever been reports of child abuse purely because the parent was smoking???? if you can answer 'yes' to any of these questions then you cannot join the smoking bar.
OFFSHORE
Finger Wheel Fidget Toy

A three inch wheel with rubber grip on the outside[…]

Makeover of backyard

Nothing to share but I definitely want to see the […]

Sticking Games

No fantasy but real sports. Professional level foo[…]

This must be very useful information. Thank you ve[…]