The main tank, brimful with ideas. Enjoy them, discuss them, take them. - Of course, this is also the #1 place for new submissions!
By AaronBurns
What this recharger does is collect static electricity, from the air, 24 hours a day and would charge your devices when you plug them in. The air inside your house contains tons of static to begin with. Why else would we have products that remove it from our clothes. Using materials that are very sensitive to static, it would constantly build a stronger and stronger charge then it would convert this to standard electricity and charge your battery or batteries with a Universal plug in to all devices thus, providing free electricity forever to your batteries since all batteries in today's devices contain very little electricity and use very little as well. The converter is not hard to build since electricity is all basically the same. You can easily build it with a balloon on your hair or with feathers or cetain fabrics and there are materials that react to static that would be more feasable to use.

Reward: Credit
By Nodster
A Leyden jar -description found in most encyclopedias- stores & condenses static electricity. Now you only need to convert & regulate it, good health ;-D
By AaronBurns
Thank you very much!
Actually, I am working on inventing the whole finished product right now. :-D
By AaronBurns
Thanks, for the web site.
I read it and my idea is similar and has been written out in depth, with my associate and the design is different enough to not match his old and unpatented idea.
His was right but, the only thing I will say here, is that, I am not using a spark plug, a grounding rod, or a wire.
I have developed a composite material, in sheet form, to collect it, straight, from any air source, at all.
The air around us is, all ready full of static electricity and his old science, can be beaten simply, by buying fuses and switches from any average Radio Shack or electrical shop.
I have an original way to collect and charge batteries which, in turn will produce enough electricity, in a direct way, through a capacitor, into usable high level voltage that will be long lasting and strong enough to charge even up to a small City. Or, many of your average cell phones or, several products simply, by placing them on a surface of electricly charged material that, will flow the electricity that, is stored, into each product, all at the same time. Lets say you have twenty cell phones. Then, you only need to place them on the surface, for a short while and your phones all charge without, causing any electricity to electricute a human being.
So, my idea is similar but, his science is slight aged and out of date but, it is good info that I was all ready aware of but, thanks for the reply. Besides; I have him beat! :-D :-D :-D :-D
By Michael D. Grissom
"small city"? ah ha!... you either invented something that when placed into the wind generates a LOT of static per sq. in. OR that's one mighty big kite ya got there!
By cheshiredog
You've provided a cornucopia of misinformation. Let me explain...
1. Static electricity, while high in voltage ("ouch"), contains very little energy, so your "all batteries.. contain very little energy" is untrue. A single "AA" battery contains over 2 billion times the energy in a single household ESD event (several Watt-hours vs. only a few microjoules).
2. ESD is caused by movement... you across the carpet, balloon across your hair, clothes in the dryer. Your "air inside your house contains tons of static" comment is untrue/misleading.
3. Your "electricity is all basically the same" and "the converter is not hard to build" are untrue. For example, rectifying a 50,000V pulse that is a few billionths of a second is not trivial. Another example is that converting DC to AC electricity can be quite expensive/inconvenient, so "electricity is all the same" is misleading.

[Edited by Steve - removed red color and boldness]
By AaronBurns
Have you ever heard of the difference in Watts and Volts.
Converters are at your local Radio Shack.
Maybe you weren't reading the whole post.
I have done other work on this idea.
Rather than talking like an encylclopedia maybe you could explain your general disagreement in English terms and let me know where in the posts it is written any of the words you claim are there.
You have posted some statements that are true but, still does not off set the working version of my recharger.
I am not trying to be mean but, let me make it easier for you to post on this web site. I make a product then, you tell me exactly why it wont work.
You added facts and no useable reason for why it wont work.
You could elaborate on the different types of electricity and why one is so different than another when you can obviously change one into another. :~( :~( :~(
By Steve
Guys, please stay civil... :-/
By AaronBurns
I guess we have to be good boys and girls from now on.
Let me say that an average stick welding machine is cheap to buy and changes Direct Current DC, into Aternating Current AC and back again with a flick of a switch.
You needn't be moving to create static electricity. The question is, where is the electricity in the first place before it travels to your body? The answer is simple. I was right about it being all around us in the air and not just moving across the carpet.
You can prove this theory by changing the temperature of the weather. There is more static when the air is cold and less to no static when the air heats up.
I live where it goes from low to high temperatures all the time and the electricity is not a byproduct of our bodies so, when we shock ourselves on every condusive material in the house or when on non-condusive tiles then, the answer is obvious. The electricity is all ready there in the air.
I hope I was nice enough since I have been reprimanded by Steve for being agressive not to say that I was not being agressive so, don't take any of this the wrong way as, I would like to continue using Steve's fine service he provides all of us and I hope he will put up with us. :-D
By BILLT
Cheshiredog above had it right but maybe he just didn’t give enough detail. First, let's establish the facts, and then we can go from there. To create a design around some element of nature, you must completely understand it first.

You said, “You needn't be moving to create static electricity. The question is, where is the electricity in the first place before it travels to your body? The answer is simple. I was right about it being all around us in the air and not just moving across the carpet.
You can prove this theory by changing the temperature of the weather. There is more static when the air is cold and less to no static when the air heats up
.”

The presence or absence of static electricity has to do with the humidity in the air, not the temperature. Of course temperature affects the ability for air to store water, otherwise known as humidity, but it is not actually the temperature that determines how much static can be generated. You can have very high temperatures, but very dry conditions and this can generate just as much static electricity as in very cold conditions. The more humid the air, the less static electricity can be generated simply because it essentially gets “shorted out” due to the conductivity of water droplets in the air.

The potential of electricity is everywhere simply because all matter is made up of atoms which are made up of electrons and protons, which are the building blocks of electricity, but it needs to be coerced to become useable electricity as we know it. Static electricity is created through the movement of two non-conducting objects of differing charges such as moving air masses, as in the case of thunderstorms, walking across a carpet with hard soled shoes, or rubbing a balloon across your hair. Note the operative words here; moving, walking, and rubbing. This motion causes a friction to occur between these materials, pulling electrons from one of the materials and depositing them onto the other, forming a difference of potential, or a charge.

Static electricity isn’t just “there”, it has to be created, and then it has to be stored to be of any use at all. In order to charge a battery, you have to have a continuous and somewhat substantial flow of current for an extended period of time. There are many ways to generate static electricity but to do so on a continuous basis; a Van de Graff Generator or a Wimshurst Machine comes immediately to mind. However both of these devices require something to turn them to generate static electricity, so you’re not going to get something from nothing. To store that electricity you could, of course, charge up a high voltage capacitor (Leyden jar), but due to its very nature, it has a very low capacity to store charge (small capacitance) therefore virtually any load on it at all would immediately discharge it. So connecting this to any sort of a regulation circuit to bring it down to a useable voltage over a period of time with a useable current would be difficult at best. And if you were to try and make the capacitor very large physically so as to have a much larger capacity to store charge, then it would likely take too much energy to charge it, thus swamping out the generated charge.

You said, “…Then, you only need to place them on the surface, for a short while and your phones all charge without, causing any electricity to electricute a human being.”

In order to charge a battery, you must physically connect its positive and negative terminals to some electrical, current generating device and there must be a current flow through the battery. You can’t just set the battery on something with a static field and expect it to charge up. Sure it may gain a static charge by setting it onto a statically charged mat, but that, as we’ve already discussed, is useless where current is concerned. This certainly does not “charge” the battery in the way that we have come to expect it to be charged such that it’s useful in something like your cell phone or any other device that uses batteries.

Now I’m not one to say that something is impossible, rather given enough time and money, I believe that anything is possible. But we do have to stick with the physical laws of nature when inventing anything. Therefore knowing those physical laws and why they affect us the way they do helps us to recognize which paths to take and which paths to avoid so as not to waste our time with those pursuits.

All I can say is best of luck with your invention. I would love to be proven wrong by seeing a working model.
By Steve
Awesome post, BILLT - thanks for the insight, and welcome to the Creativity Pool! ;-D
We simply apply friction between the condusive fins of static sensitive materials and the technology to transfer electrical current turned into useable volts is a new but, existing products to charge batteries without plugging them in, in japan all ready exists(I stole that part) and the friction is a small addition easily done even if you needed to not spend electrical current to make it you could simply have a crank then let the static electrical current use some of the electricity to charge itself to move the fins for friction.
I know that if a material can charge an electrical current (All being very similar) then rubbing two potential to kenetic enegy producing materials will work if self contained and not exposed to humidity therefore we have no element of nature to interfear with the generator.
A self contained metal box seal up would be sufficient.
Most likelt this idea would work best at any size generator based on location on the globe or artificially generating false atmospheric conditions by placing it in your freezer for a short while and it could store that charge.
What I was saying about the people not being electrified by the condusive surface is that it has all ready been proven and that part of the idea is a readily available product all ready in use but, it needs to be plugged into a wall socket then, you set your phones with there rechargeable batteries intact on the surface and they re-charge.
You could Google that part.
My idea is only original if we can retrieve the electricity without expending any to produce it.
I could expect (Like you said) a smaller unit to best fit a working protype but, someone in high static areas of the World like frozen places or high heat since the price of providing a city with electricity is expensive and getting worse. Especially in heating or cooling a house or business.
I was just trying to provide a viable answer (Like Wind Mills) to proving a cheaper energy source. ;-D
I think that better explains the idiosycrases of this artical and better defines what I am trying to say in so many words.
I respect your oppinions (Or facts) so, write back please and we will further this discussion.
Basically these ideas have seperately been around for years but, the working product never put together for use.
It's not that easy to create a perpetual motion machine and this is similar.
Please include your ways that it (Will) work next time.
Thanks for your interest and please don't think of this as angrer.
Just presenting the facts from this end.
After all, how can it not work if I can solve the problems this easily. ;-D
Sorry about the grammer but, adding the proper punctuation isn't my best asset.
I never was into English composition
By BILLT
You said, "After all, how can it not work if I can solve the problems this easily."

I hope you don't take this as being argumentative, but you haven't solved any problems yet! There are all sorts of huge obstacles yet to be overcome but I haven't seen any concrete suggestions or detailed design ideas on how to solve them. Among them are:

- Generating huge amounts (or even small amounts) of static electricity on a continuous basis without any external stimulus.
- Converting static electricity into useable current electricity.
- Charging up a battery using static electricity while not connected to anything.

These aren't trivial things and you mentioned that I should give suggestions on what "Will" work. If I had the answers to what would work here, I’d gladly post them. Your idea here is at the very top, conceptual level with no details suggesting how you intend on doing all of these things. What I’m trying to do is to point out that you have to focus your attention on the details for an idea either to come to fruition or to realize that it either is not possible or it is not worth the time or effort to pursue it. My main intent here is to keep everybody going down a productive path toward inventing new product ideas by pointing out obvious errors, inaccuracies, or misunderstandings and trying to set them straight so that they can continue moving forward with their designs. I hope people don’t take this offensively. But without open and honest communications, things stay hidden and we cannot move forward.

You said, "We simply apply friction between the condusive fins of static sensitive materials and the technology to transfer electrical current turned into useable volts is a new but, existing products to charge batteries without plugging them in, in japan all ready exists(I stole that part) and the friction is a small addition easily done even if you needed to not spend electrical current to make it you could simply have a crank then let the static electrical current use some of the electricity to charge itself to move the fins for friction."

I feel compelled to point out that your "off-the-cuff" statement that "…the technology to transfer electrical current into useable voltage is a new but existing product…", is the very crux of the obstacles that must be overcome before this idea would have any chance of working at all. I assume that you meant converting static electricity into useable current voltage as this is what we're discussing here. You say that it already exists in Japan. I did a Google search and found nothing in this area. I would be very interested in seeing more information on what this consists of, or a URL to this information in Japan that you referenced.

You said, "It's not that easy to create a perpetual motion machine and this is similar."

This is true, and physically speaking, a "perpetual motion machine" is impossible simply because everything in the world has friction. Now scientists have been able to get close using magnetic and vacuum bearings and very efficient generators by cooling their coils in liquid nitrogen, but it's still a losing proposition. It will never be even 100%, let alone greater than that. You can't power something from the generations from itself. It will always run down, and usually pretty quickly. And if it has to also provide power to something else other than just keeping itself running, then it will certainly run down nearly instantaneously due to the extra load it has to handle.
By PiesRround
Hello all from a newbie to this very interesting site. I am here because I have been researching static electricity. I have read on the historical references to the subject, I have covered patents on static electricity generators. I've got 50 years behind me and only a B.A. degree, so research on this hard science subject is required for me. I read the following and wish to make a couple of points.

This is true, and physically speaking, a "perpetual motion machine" is impossible simply because everything in the world has friction. Now scientists have been able to get close using magnetic and vacuum bearings and very efficient generators by cooling their coils in liquid nitrogen, but it's still a losing proposition. It will never be even 100%, let alone greater than that. You can't power something from the generations from itself. It will always run down, and usually pretty quickly. And if it has to also provide power to something else other than just keeping itself running, then it will certainly run down nearly instantaneously due to the extra load it has to handle.[/quote]

At one time in our history, it was widely believed that 60 miles per hour in a motor vehicle was a physical impossibility. A little later in our history, it was widely believed that going faster than the speed of sound was impossible. A little earlier in our history, it was very popular to believe that "if God had meant for man to fly, He would have given us wings". The popular naysayers these days contend that it is impossible to travel faster than the speed of light. I ask you, If I can accelerate to almost the speed of light, why must I quit accelerating?
At any rate, I see that this is an old thread, but I dredge it up with no apologies. I respect and understand what the detractors have posted thus far. Simply put, I have discovered a method of generating a lot more static electricity with a lot less energy input than any machine or method I have been able to discover. I am talking about unintended explosive potential, which can be replicated and multiplied with no further input energy required. The questions I pose to those of you who have a deep understanding of electrical science are:
A). Assuming I can generate static electricity amounts previously unknown considering energy levels needed to create said amounts. What have I got?
B). Is there a ratio of static electricity created, to alternating current used to create it, that I can use to measure my proposition?

Best Regards to all.
OFFSHORE
Finger Wheel Fidget Toy

A three inch wheel with rubber grip on the outside[…]

Makeover of backyard

Nothing to share but I definitely want to see the […]

Sticking Games

No fantasy but real sports. Professional level foo[…]

This must be very useful information. Thank you ve[…]