The main tank, brimful with ideas. Enjoy them, discuss them, take them. - Of course, this is also the #1 place for new submissions!
By akcowboy
Since our blood carries oxygen around, heals us and is basically one of the essential things that keeps us alive, why not improve on it? We can make new organs, why not new blood. Blood that cannot get infected, that has a better oxygen dispersal, that can fight off any disease and maybe we could even have different colors!

Reward: Recognition and a few pints of my own. and maybe a night out with Jennifer Love Hewitt.
By Rishi
akcowboy wrote:Since our blood carries oxygen around, heals us and is basically one of the essential things that keeps us alive, why not improve on it? We can make new organs, why not new blood. Blood that cannot get infected, that has a better oxygen dispersal, that can fight off any disease and maybe we could even have different colors!

Reward: Recognition and a few pints of my own. and maybe a night out with Jennifer Love Hewitt.
I am afraid that blood is much more complex than just an oxygen carrier. It is the only liquid tissue of the body and does many functions.

Many blood substitutes have been made. Research is still on in many countries in this field. A perfluorocarbon based substance invented in Japan showed some promise and is still marketed. It has a limited application of sustaining life in emergencies till a proper blood transfusion can be given.

As for a totally artificial blood substtitute the wait will be quite long. Better keep a list of local blood banks handy.

Rishi
By sneezyalex
What's wrong with just donated blood? :-?
By Rishi
sneezyalex wrote:What's wrong with just donated blood? :-?
Nothing wrong with donated blood if it is fully tested and declared safe. There just is not enough of it, at least in developing countries.

In India most of the donated blood is from professional donors, who make a living selling blood every three days or so. Many blood banks do not have even basic facilities for testing such blood. Many donors are on drugs or alcohol. The blood is too thin with poor therapeutic value.

Hence the search for a blood substitute.

Rishi
By sneezyalex
Yeah. Possibly in 10 years or so when they find out how to make it.
By Jonathan D
A radical idea may be that once nano technology develops you can just make blood at the molecular level and eventually get to the point where you can modify it.
By earthdoctor
We are extremely complex beings, or machines. I think it is an exhausting effort to develop synthetic blood because the blood is too complex of a mixture and I do not think human science will ever surpass God's science, or whoever made us. Whoever did, knows more about the blood than we do, or possibly ever will. I don't think we will ever be able to create an equally effective substitute. Of course, I COULD be totally wrong, but I just don't think so.
By Robin
There is a product called Hemopure which has not been used except under special dispensation by the FDA. It was used in the case of a Jehovah's Witness in San Francisco who was badly injured when a large chunk of his side was torn off in an industrial accident. Doctors said he would die. He was saved by the use of this blood substitute This was reported by the Sacremento Bee. You can find the article in that papers archives on-line. It was approved by that religions leaders. It is formulated using bovine blood.
Robin
By Apoc_Master
akcowboy wrote:Since our blood carries oxygen around, heals us and is basically one of the essential things that keeps us alive, why not improve on it? We can make new organs, why not new blood. Blood that cannot get infected, that has a better oxygen dispersal, that can fight off any disease and maybe we could even have different colors!

Blood can get infected... Ever heard of AIDS???
OFFSHORE
Finger Wheel Fidget Toy

A three inch wheel with rubber grip on the outside[…]

Makeover of backyard

Nothing to share but I definitely want to see the […]

Sticking Games

No fantasy but real sports. Professional level foo[…]

This must be very useful information. Thank you ve[…]