The main tank, brimful with ideas. Enjoy them, discuss them, take them. - Of course, this is also the #1 place for new submissions!
By AaronBurns
If you take the wheels off of a skate board step onto it then glide on a smooth surface with air holes pushing up strong currents of air you can glide for hundreds of feet with just a slight push of your foot. We could make an indoor or outdoor Air Hockey Type Skate Board Park where we could use any smooth object to safely project ourselves across the smooth surface and use the same construction of an average skate park only this would be more fun, you could go faster and further, and the surface would cause less damage to limbs since it would not be concrete on the surface. A totally new sport to replace one that is getting quit boring thses days. You could make any type of board any size and length or shape as long as it was smooth on the bottom. You could even make boards to glide on your knees or elbows alone or shoes that would move you across the surface. A very easy park to make. A very safe way to board. And tons more fun!

Reward: Credit
By Steve
How would you steer? :-?
By AaronBurns
The board would continue straight until you applied some weight in one direction or the other thusly, turning you.
You could press against the air and float in any direction.
Also, it would be very much like riding a three wheeled vehicle. The same principles of turning apply there as well. You need to apply a little weight distribution one way or another in order to turn. It is very easy to do.
I have years of experience with a three wheeled vehicle and Air Hockey and I am sure it would be not only a total blast to do but, very easy as well.
If you wanted more speed you just push with your foot like a regular skate board. Very easy! :-D :-D :-D
By Steve
I would beat you at air hockey any time! :-D

Seriously though, steering and braking would still require a decent solution. With air hockey, the puck floats because it's flat and hard. Once it's at full speed, tilting won't really slow it down (which I noticed numerous time when I shot this thing of the table towards the other side of the room ;-) ).
By Michael D. Grissom
WHY WHY WHY Aaron do you consistantly try to find more fun forms of transportation??? Are you having a relationship problem with your camel??? :-D
By AaronBurns
I can't hold onto a one humped camel and the two humped camel chaffs!
:-D :-D :-D
By sneezyalex
I'll bet any of you at air hockey any day! :-)
By blader15sk8
wouldnt this be impossible because the different weight of the riders?

someone that weighs 100 lbs would float higher than someone 200 lbs.. it would be impossible to find a perfect pressure for everyone.
By AaronBurns
Due to weight of an individual the difference would not be more than an inch.
If you weigh too much you simply get a lighter board or if you weigh too little you get a heavier board.
Simple physics.
After all, no one would take off and hit the ceiling! Ha! lol :-D
By Rishi
AaronBurns wrote:If you take the wheels off of a skate board step onto it then glide on a smooth surface with air holes pushing up strong currents of air you can glide for hundreds of feet with just a slight push of your foot. We could make an indoor or outdoor Air Hockey Type Skate Board Park where we could use any smooth object to safely project ourselves across the smooth surface and use the same construction of an average skate park only this would be more fun, you could go faster and further, and the surface would cause less damage to limbs since it would not be concrete on the surface. A totally new sport to replace one that is getting quit boring thses days. You could make any type of board any size and length or shape as long as it was smooth on the bottom. You could even make boards to glide on your knees or elbows alone or shoes that would move you across the surface. A very easy park to make. A very safe way to board. And tons more fun!

Reward: Credit
There was another thread in this site to which I posted the following:-
Dear tigerfire0013,

The following site gives details of a personal hovercraft powered by a lithium ion battery and runs for an hour. You may contact the inventor for your project.

http://www.designnews.com/article/CA414 ... 1482794143

Rishi

I feel that an individually powered air skate board will be more manageable than a whole floor with high speed jets of air (with all dust coming up - a nightmare for allergy sufferers) all over.

You are right about a lighter person not hitting the roof. What controls the height is the open area around the skate board's edges. The weight of the person will be balanced by the pressure on the under surface of the board.

rishi
By AaronBurns
Your right.
A properly designed skate board could work well with both the Park and on it's own.
About the dust... If the person running the Skate Park opens the air to blow a few minutes before letting anyone on the surface it should be okay provided that it is an indoor Skate Park.
Thanks! ;-D
OFFSHORE
Finger Wheel Fidget Toy

A three inch wheel with rubber grip on the outside[…]

Makeover of backyard

Nothing to share but I definitely want to see the […]

Sticking Games

No fantasy but real sports. Professional level foo[…]

This must be very useful information. Thank you ve[…]