Submissions that have been rejected by the Creativity Pool. - The Docks aren't necessarily the final destination, if a broken idea gets fixed it may travel to a more appropriate category.
By Bubbles
my idea is that a simple bulletproof vest would have a small computer in it that would perform a number a tasks, including:

1) it would have a heart beat moniter.if the soldiers heart stopped while he was using the vest it would shock him in an attempt to start his heart. this would have an off switch.

2) the vest would be coated in a special dye that can only be seen through special glasses. the dys would be a bright, fluro colour so that it is easy for allies but not enimies to see. this would make locating troups in the dark alot easier.
if the soldier was killed (this would be determined by the above mentioned heart beat moniter)the vest would squirt out another special dye, this time in red, so that allies would know not to go near it because...

3)...it is now armed with a motion sensitive bomb! this is not as crazy as it sounds. the bomb is activated so that enemy fighter who try to steal the body or ammo of it will be killed(this is especialy true in places like iraq). this will prevent bodies being destroyed by the enemy. the bomb will be turned off by a wireless control that is carried by other soldiers.

4)the vest will also have a sensor in the soldiers weapon which count how many rounds have been fired. the info will be sent back to base so thay will no which units need relieving.(an average no. of shots fired will be sent as not all troups took the sam ammount of ammo into battle, and it assumes troups will share ammo).

5)the vest will also have a gps reciever so base will no exactly where troups are. it will also provide maps to stop troups getting lost.

Reward: less killed soldiers
By Steve
ad #3 - apart from the fact that I am reluctant to post killing machines, this would have horrible consequences. Just imagine a soldier trying to rescue one of his comrades, and while trying to carry him away from the danger zone, the heart stops beating. 8-o Same goes for locals that try to help injured soldiers. Human corpses as booby traps would ad another very disgusting layer to the nightmare of war. :-P
By Rishi
R&D work is well under way in the US on fully instrumented vests with a built in flexible computer, which can do much more than what has been suggested.

rishi
By Bubbles
first of all, its not a "killing machine", the vest is designed to save lives. the comment about carrying a comrade who dies and then killes you is untrue as the mentioned remote control would turn off the bomb untill the other soldiers are out of harms way.

there would be no problem with locals who try to help the wounded soldiers, as they are not dead the bomb is not armed. evan if the soldier was dead, locals would soon learn to leave boddies to the units desinged to deal with them. some civillians may stumble on a body and die, but the number would never get higher than single figures as word about the lethal vest would spread quickly.
By Bubbles
why, steve, havnt you put this post of mine into the main pool system. i appear to have answered all of the problems you outlined, so therefore the idea is "fixed". please do the ohnerabls thing and re-file it.
By Steve
Bubbles wrote:there would be no problem with locals who try to help the wounded soldiers, as they are not dead the bomb is not armed. evan if the soldier was dead, locals would soon learn to leave boddies to the units desinged to deal with them. some civillians may stumble on a body and die, but the number would never get higher than single figures as word about the lethal vest would spread quickly.
Yes, you have confirmed that you are proposing an invention that turns human bodies into booby traps. As far as I am concerned, that is all that there is to say about it.
By Bubbles
i dont think you understand. the body is never ment to actually explode! it is a deterent to stop insurgents and enemy troups mutilating and/or getting sensitive information from the body. yes, some bodys may be destroyed in the begining, but people would soon learn not to touch the bodies. you are also ignoreing the other good points of the post, like the monitor on the soldiers gun, and the idividual gps unit. ;-D
By Steve
Ok, I'm taking the trouble to go through you idea point after point. Remember that you asked for this, usually I don't take apart other people's ideas in such a manner.

#1 Starting your heart is good when you had a heart attack, when your heart stopped beating from shock or when you drowned. What's the sense of starting your heart when you have been shot? Such a vest would make much more sense for the +80, only that the equipment is probably way to heavy to carry around all the time. Also, starting your heart when it actually hasn't stopped can be deadly, so any, ever so slight technical failure puts the wearer at risk.

#2 I would love that - if I was the enemy. Since the notion of high-tech encoded glasses relating to high-tech encoded colors is still science fiction (afaik), it should be a piece of cake for them to figure out how the system works. Apart from the fact that, to make the system effective, all soldiers would have to have those glasses, so as soon as one of them is captured, you'll have a huge problem. (Then again, we could blow up our soldiers as soon as they are captured, that would make sure the secret doesn't fall to the enemy. :-D ).

#3 I do understand. Anyone from the red cross who is trying to figure out if they guy lying there needs help gets killed, until they finally "learn" not to give a **** about anyone who can't move anymore. Sorry, but this is insane. Apart from the fact that every soldier will basically have explosives strapped to his body. Did you follow even a tiny bit of the discussion going on in London, the fact that the police shot an innocent Brazilian guy into the head, and why? Unless you want to die, it's an extremely BAD idea to have explosives strapped to your body when there are bullets flying all around you.

#4 Are you aware that this is a problem at all? I may be wrong, but as far as I know the main problem about relief is getting it there. If the troops need ammo, they call. If they are surrounded by enemy troups, it may be hard to get it to them, but I've never heard of troops running out of ammo simply because nobody knew they needed any.

#5 Same as #2 - I'd love it if I were the enemy. Troops that are sending signals so they can be located? Yummy!
By Bubbles
i am simply taking a harsher, die and let die, view of war. the vest is desingned to maim or kill any other people who try to muck with our soldiers bodies, and if that means red cross, civilians and the odd dog get killed to, so be it. i dont think you would mind if some terrorist collaborator got his hand blowen of because he was trying to steal grenades from your daughters body. i would think that most people would be happy, that, evan in death, they were able to play a small part in the wor against terrorism. a war that is neccesary to prevent you, and your fellow, democratic, citicen, being killed. when it comes to the crunch, its you or them. and it sure as hell aint gunna be me.
By Rishi
Rishi wrote:R&D work is well under way in the US on fully instrumented vests with a built in flexible computer, which can do much more than what has been suggested.

rishi
Here is an update on a smart sports bra.

http://www.designnews.com/article/CA631 ... 1202589515&

rishi
By inesgiuliani
The vest will also have a sensor in the soldiers weapon which count how many rounds have been fired. the info will be sent back to base so thay will no which units need relieving.
OFFSHORE
Finger Wheel Fidget Toy

A three inch wheel with rubber grip on the outside[…]

Makeover of backyard

Nothing to share but I definitely want to see the […]

Sticking Games

No fantasy but real sports. Professional level foo[…]

This must be very useful information. Thank you ve[…]