The main tank, brimful with ideas. Enjoy them, discuss them, take them. - Of course, this is also the #1 place for new submissions!
By Brad Foster
I think they should make square bottles and cans so they don't roll away when you lie them down. I think the only reason the don't do it is because squares won't roll down the production line but surely they can make them slide down instead! It would also make packing easier and more compact because squares tesalate!

Reward: Just put my name somewhere
By Steve
As far as I know, this already exists - they call it Tetra Pak. :-]
By Guest
One reason why companies may not want to do it is to save money on materials. This is being a bit nerdy, but a circle is much more economical than a square as far as the material used to make it is concerned.

Put another way, using the same amount of metal, you can create a bigger volume using a circle rather than a square. When you consider the number of cans that these companies produce (millions), it would add up to a large amount of money being spent on extra materials.

Saying that, square cans would be good though!!
By Stig Bakke's brother Stig
Cylindrical cans don't dent as easily, either...

But just stop purchasing cans, for crying out loud! :-[ It's not as if there aren't less wastefull/environmentally hazardous alternatives...
By NGEddie
and a round can look LOTS bigger

i think this is the main reason
you ever compared a 2 litre bottle of coke to a 4 litre cuboid petrol carrier - they look almost the same size.

to me anyway :)
By guest
I think for pressurized drinks, like soda, they need to be in a cyllindrical container for technical reasons??
By krazyken
I wont get to involved here but due to the forces of the presure inside the can it has to be round in order to contain it think about it if you put a pressurized liquid into a square can what happens the flat sides try to become round and that just dont work well for packaging.
By Guest
they already have, they started production in a factory i worked in on my college break this summer.
By lazyboy
i could i crush that on my forhead after my six pack the corners would crush my skull
By mtd28student
A certain kind of bird lays it eggs on cliffs. To prevent the eggs from rolling off the make them conical in shape, so that the roll in a circlular path. This could be done to aluminum cans. They would still have much of the same properties that conventuall can have (presurisable e.t.c) and they would not role away (well at least not far).
By Barnaby
mtd28student wrote:A certain kind of bird lays it eggs on cliffs. To prevent the eggs from rolling off the make them conical in shape, so that the roll in a circlular path. This could be done to aluminum cans. They would still have much of the same properties that conventuall can have (presurisable e.t.c) and they would not role away (well at least not far).
Aluminium cans cannot be resealed. Therefore, if one went rolling, the liquid would all spill out. }:-)
By sneezyalex
Circles... Squares... They are all the same to me. :-?
OFFSHORE
Finger Wheel Fidget Toy

A three inch wheel with rubber grip on the outside[…]

Makeover of backyard

Nothing to share but I definitely want to see the […]

Sticking Games

No fantasy but real sports. Professional level foo[…]

This must be very useful information. Thank you ve[…]