The main tank, brimful with ideas. Enjoy them, discuss them, take them. - Of course, this is also the #1 place for new submissions!
By AaronBurns
Remember back in the days when there were T-Shirts that were color changing when they got wet. Well, we should make paint for all vehicles that change color in the different temperatures. A rainbow of colors in one paint job! Your entire car would constantly change colors every few seconds through shadows and engine temperatures. Always a new color in unexpected places on your cars paint surface.

Reward: A new paint job on my current vehicle.
By book_fanatic
Although that does sound like a very good, marketable idea, wouldn't it be dangerous for pedestrians and passings cars who're mesmerized by the different colors of your car?
By blader15sk8
Well, It could possibly be a distraction, especially if its changing colors at the time... but I don't think it would be like having like flashing-lights-in-your-eyes type of distraction that could cause accidents with some neon lights and such people put on their cars. (which I believe are illegal in some states?)

This seems like a really cool idea, and I'd love to see it happen.
By Rishi
AaronBurns wrote:Remember back in the days when there were T-Shirts that were color changing when they got wet. Well, we should make paint for all vehicles that change color in the different temperatures. A rainbow of colors in one paint job! Your entire car would constantly change colors every few seconds through shadows and engine temperatures. Always a new color in unexpected places on your cars paint surface.

Reward: A new paint job on my current vehicle.
Liquid crystal based temp sensitive paints are already available but fearfully expensive.

The problem is that at no time will the entire surface of the car at one temperature. So the result will be a piebald or mottled look.

The police may not like a car that constantly changes colour.

rishi
By AaronBurns
I have seen the liquid crystal temperature sensitive paints and they respond mostly to lighting conditions so, mine is different since were adding a more modern color change and an old one as well; a mood ring type chemical and an expensive color change clothing chemical where the look is not mottled and spotty but entirely different colors based on all weather and temperature conditions so, if your car was half in and half out of the shade it wouldn't just slightly change color like liquid crystals but you could get a bright yellow with the other half being dark purple.
A much more drastic change than what is currently available but, I agree; it would be expensive. ;-D
By vbplaya
Back when I was a kid there were those Hot Wheels cars that had that type of paint on it that would allow it to change colors and I always thought that would be great.

We have all been thinking about temperature reacting paint but what I have always considered is ... why not have the paint reacting to an electric charge. The paint is on metal (well unless the car has fiberglass panels) ... couldn't it be charged via the metal and then you could have a selector in the car and choose what color you want it to be. Also, the color would be more consistant because it is all the same charge.

Obviously, I am talking about a very small charge ... can't have people walking up and getting shocked.

Just a thought. :-?

S
By AaronBurns
That's a very good addition to my idea!
They all ready use certain frequencies of electric charges to knock out circuit breaker back ground noise in many car stereo units.
The charge could align metal fragments or just change the temp. The higher the Watts the higher the temp.
What I am after is a general, over all, change due to rain, sun, engine, shade, fog, or temp. Basically a paint that will react to everything to make a wild new design every few minutes or seconds.
It would be wicked to have a slight rain cool the bottom while the engine warms the hood and the tail pipe heats the back while rain streaks rainbow colors from front to back.
You know, something never scene before. You would have to have what I have all ready written about and all shades of every color. Like a full spectrum that can seperate.
Like those old temp gauges you could hold onto and they would go thru a spectrum of all colors like on batteries or a litmus test strip which does pretty much the same thing.
We just need to mix it in the final coat of paint or laquer or shellacking we apply (Basically different materials to paint cars with) and done. We would have it. Very simple to add all the different materials together and ways to do it.
The only problem would be keeping the cost down but, if you take it to car shows, you might just win the money back.
Like on a 69` Camero or an older revamped car from are distant past.
They spend thousands to rebuild any way; might as well win the contest! ;-D ;-D ;-D
By adaminc
The company Alsacorp makes tons of different kinds of Auto paint from heat color changing to basic light color changing, chrome paint that looks like actual chrome, glow in the dark paint and numerous others, you can also combine them for some amazing effects, the company is Alsacorp.
By AaronBurns
Yes, Alsacorp has X-Posure paint that does exactly what I am talking about but, they only have a Patent Pending and may not get a Patent leaving it open to all paint makers and their X-Posure paint sticks to anything including plastic! Pretty cool stuff! ;-D
By WozGunna
It would make finding your car in a large carpark an exercise in patience..
By AaronBurns
...And an exercise in futility for sure!
Where's my car? Nect to all the other multi colored cars...Where else! Ha! ;-D
Most of the comments here are for color changes or topical attributes. I might suggest there can be another advantage to a color change triggered by heat, say a temperature at around 70 degrees F.

Lets look at a black ( or any dark colored car ) in the summer. Lets also assume the morning temperature is 65 degrees. You drink your coffee, grab your briefcase and jump in the car. In a couple of minutes you are driving down the free way heading for work. The sun comes up and the out side temperature quickly goes up to 85 degrees. Your air conditioner easily keeps the car cool as you turn into the parking lot.

You grab your briefcase, open the door and get out of your car which has changed from the color black to a heat reflectant white.

If the day would stay cool, and the metal of the car stays below 70 Deg F, the car would stay whatever color the base color is. When the metal gets hot, it turns white to reflect the heat.

Think of a military possibility with Light Sensitive paints.

The vehicles are painted in the famous camo paint scheme, blending in with the background. At night, the vehicle changes to a black color, nearly impossible to see in the dark of the night as the vehicles move along on secret missions.

Possibilities go far beyond just color change for the sake of looks. To keep cars cooler, hide military vehicles in danger areas, the doors are opening for an exciting future.

How cool is this technology.

JAO
By tomo99
i think it would be really good for young people with cars.
I also think if your invention comes out in shops i will definatley get it
keep it up
(p.s.) I REALLY THINK IT IS A GOOD INVENTION

tomo99
OFFSHORE
Finger Wheel Fidget Toy

A three inch wheel with rubber grip on the outside[…]

Makeover of backyard

Nothing to share but I definitely want to see the […]

Sticking Games

No fantasy but real sports. Professional level foo[…]

This must be very useful information. Thank you ve[…]