Obsessed by the improvements of StarTrek and the fourth millennium, while feeling restricted by the limits of today's technology or that boring second law of thermodynamics? Just let your imagination flow - you needn't be Scotty to beam your thoughts in here!
By henry_joshua
Dear Friends,
A new idea has struck me. I would like to share the idea with you. My idea is to create a remote charger. When the charger is put on then the mobile phone automatically charges and there must be an indication on the mobile phone screen that the charger is on. Suppose we put this in an office or hotel or airport then no one has to carry a charger with him. When the person enters the area the mobile phone automatically charges itself. This could be useful for laptop computers also. I dont know how to develop it but I think this would be a grand success, if someone develops this.

Thanx

Henry Joshua
By jacobpatrick
you can create that effect with a tessla coil but i think it could be dangerous.
the problem you would face is if the electricity did not have a wire to flow through, it would have to travel through the air like lightening.
and as we all know lightening is dangerous.
i dont think you could use radio or micro waves of a high enough intensity to charge your phone or laptop without charging yourself in the process.
but thats not to say it cant be done ill do a little research in this field.
By shari
Can't this be done by cutting Flux lines using AC like in a transformer, and then using a DC convertor to feed into the charging circuit?
By Rishi
shari wrote:Can't this be done by cutting Flux lines using AC like in a transformer, and then using a DC convertor to feed into the charging circuit?
The problem is that substantial power has to be delivered wireless. Unless the frequency is high this is not feasible. Also the radiation is omnidirectional. One will have to broadcast a lot of power to deliver a small but significant bit to a charger.

There are already health concerns about the potential hazards even in the extended use of cell phones themselves. The large scale RF broadcasting of power to save carrying a charger does not seem to be a meaningful exercise.

rishi
By shari
Yes you are right that it is an overkill to do something like this just to avoid carrying a charger. But since this is a sci-fi pond, I am just thinking wild. Probably there are other uses to conveying electrical power wireless - example, to bring a robot back to life using say a directed light beam which will charge him? :-)

That brings me to an interesting question - Is there are way in today's technology to direct electrical power without wires? Like make conduits in the air or using lasers or something like that? I am not knowledgeable about any of these, just interested in finding out from the experts in this forum.
By Rishi
shari wrote:Yes you are right that it is an overkill to do something like this just to avoid carrying a charger. But since this is a sci-fi pond, I am just thinking wild. Probably there are other uses to conveying electrical power wireless - example, to bring a robot back to life using say a directed light beam which will charge him? :-)

That brings me to an interesting question - Is there are way in today's technology to direct electrical power without wires? Like make conduits in the air or using lasers or something like that? I am not knowledgeable about any of these, just interested in finding out from the experts in this forum.
There are what are called MASERs (Microwave Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation) through which you can transmit power in a tight beam. The problem is that only about 2% of the input energy is actually transmitted.

The hazard issues still remain.

rishi
By mhayah
you got a very brilliant idea. i love it. only the problem there is who, how and when will that be develop. but it is really an interesting idea. ;)
who do you have in mind has the power and ability to create such thing??
By zanesjoy
A simple charger works by providing a continuous DC or pulsed DC power supply battery is charging. A simple charger does not change the production time, or charge the battery. This simplicity means that the charger is just a cheap, but quality is a compromise.
OFFSHORE
Finger Wheel Fidget Toy

A three inch wheel with rubber grip on the outside[…]

Makeover of backyard

Nothing to share but I definitely want to see the […]

Sticking Games

No fantasy but real sports. Professional level foo[…]

This must be very useful information. Thank you ve[…]