The main tank, brimful with ideas. Enjoy them, discuss them, take them. - Of course, this is also the #1 place for new submissions!
By Maskone
Ever hate those annoying folks who drive by your house with their bass system shaking your windows, walls, and floor? Waking up your children, preventing you from studying? The government has laws about regulating noise in residential areas but rarely enforced. What better way to enforce these laws with an EMP gun turret.

Mount this bad boy on a telephone pole in a residential area. When a driver passes by with audio levels prohibited in neighborhoods, the turret locks onto the car and fires an EMP blast. This will disable the car, the stupid car stereo, and anything else electrical.

Reward: sleep
By MissPlayful
I am all for reducing mindless noise so we can get more peceful sleeps. Your idea may be a good one, but I don't understand it. A Google search for "EMP gun turret" yielded only one result - your idea! If you want users of CreativityPool to understand and comment on your ideas (and this applies to everybody who submits ideas) you need to explain them so that everybody can understand them. What proportion of the population would have any idea what an EMP is? Now, having said that, your idea is clearly imaginative and it does sound like it fights fire with fire, and in the battle against noise, if you don't believe that negotiation will work (not feasible in the case of passing vehicles anyway) then fighting fire with fire is the way to go. Question for you - would this EMP device shut down a noisy CD player or similar music player in an adjacent dwelling? Countless people around the world have this problem and they would love a device that would not only shut the player down but burn it out!
By Maskone
Well I am sorry you dont understand what an EMP is. From dictionary.com EMP is defined as

The pulse of intense electromagnetic radiation generated by certain physical events, especially by a nuclear explosion high above the earth.

It is something seen in most movies after a nuclear bomb goes off. Its a big shockwave that destroys or disables all electric devices. Today, as seen on tv, some researches are trying to enable EMP technology into devices to stop high speed car chases. For example, an EMP blast is fired at the car engine and disables it from moving.
By MissPlayful
Thanks Maskone - now I understand your EMP gun, and it sounds like my kind of device. I particularly like the “destroys” bit. And the fact that this device would enable us to put steroes out of commission without having to break and enter!

You would need to be able to aim this EMP gun with a fair degree of accuracy - I don’t think the neighbours would appreciate “a big shockwave that destroys or disables all electric devices”!

There would (regrettably) be some legal issues to consider. I once asked an electronics store if they could sell me a device that would disable a neighbour’s stereo and they replied “nothing that was legal”. They suggested I employ a brick!
By d4rksabre
the only problem with this idea is that with an EMP, you would not be able to focus a beam with enough accuracy to only hit the radio, you would end up deactivating the entire car's electrical system causing the driver to lose control and ultimately crash. a passing stereo thump may be less annoying than the sound of police sirens all night long....
By kayakdude32
the only way that i can see this even comming close to happening is a long and gruesome road.
obviously technology would have to improve before this can be implemented. but beyond that this is very clearly in violation of some kind of civil liberty. which means first you would have to write up a bill that would have to be passed in each state that says a. these turrets have the authority to shut down any stereo system that is deemed too loud on residential streets. and b. that car stereo manufacturers have to build in some kind of disabling mechanism into the stereo so that the turrets can just scan the car and deactivate that rather than the whole car or even nearby cars as well.
getting that kind of a measure passed would be quite a huge undertaking. and would take a lot of time patience and money. after this gets passed, if it gets passed, you have to lobby with the police stations and get word out about the product. tell police stations about it and make a presentation with people in residential areas complaining about the noise of car stereos, how it works, yada yada yada. but dont stop there. make in know to the people too. make petitions available to turn into the local police station that the residents of a neighborhood could sign and get the police to install one where they think it would be most effective in the neighborhood.
the stereo manufacturer should be required to include some kind of warning built in as well. if your car stereo gets zapped it should shut down for maybe 20 minutes or something but when it comes back on play a warning like "you had the volume up too high while driving on (insert street name here. this info would transfer in the zapping) to avoid this in the future, keep your windows up and dont play music loudly on residential streets."
great if it could be done but i just dont see anyone willing to take on this kind of a project.
By jacobpatrick
in another subject someone spoke of a device called a sound laser.
this sound laser was a high intensity beam of sound that if directed at somebody delivered a deafing jolt of sound.
fire this at noisy passers by.

now thats fire with fire.
By skuzle
Ok, an EMP turret. Say you have an ambulance going to the scene of a car accident, or even carrying a critical patient back to the hospitol, sirens blarring. Your sound sensor detects this loud sound, directs it an the ambulance, and boom, ambulance turns off, patient dies, etc. An EMP can my directed to an extend, but can very easily be redirected in much the samep way an electro magnetic pulse can be focused. Let me also add that a car speaker creates its sound from electro magnetic pulses. If you were to direct one at a subwoofer, the pulse being at a higher magnitude than that of the signal coming from the amplifier, would simply cause the subwoofer to hit even harder, creating an even louder sound, while also frying the voice coil, as well as many of the other electronics in the car. I live in Wichita, Kansas, the air capital city of the world. Nightly, I hear jets screaming overhead, that can easily drown out the sound of a cars sound system. Will these turrets hear that sound, and take out an airplane as well? There are far too many factors that would even allow this idea to be proposed to any government figure. Let's not forget the cost of something like this. A decent powered EMP will require a large amount of capacitors, as well as extremely high voltage. It will need to be able to detect the volume, as well as track the location of the sound and follow it. Parts, manufacturing costs, and installation, you're looking at a lot of money for something that passes your house within a few seconds. What would be more annoying, 10 dead cars in front of your house, or a few seconds of bass? That's my opinion...
By Jaunty-John
Although I believe it should be legal to use
an anti-tank missile on these morons cars,
a law requiring an decible meter to be install
on cars (stereo equip?) that either shuts off
the stereo or emits a squeal if the noise level
is to high, would suffice.
By Antedeus
d4rksabre wrote:the only problem with this idea is that with an EMP, you would not be able to focus a beam with enough accuracy to only hit the radio, you would end up deactivating the entire car's electrical system causing the driver to lose control and ultimately crash. a passing stereo thump may be less annoying than the sound of police sirens all night long....
LOL - Small price to pay! :-D
By viridian
Oh but sometimes I like that booming going past. And they (the drivers) like them. the decibel cut off thing soounds practical and maybe we could have a noisy hour (like happy hours) when people could blast away all they liked. they'd soon lose interest if they were allowed to do it! :)
I like this site.
By A_Guy_Outta_Ideas
You could have some thing that takes a picture (or sound video) of the noisy violator which is sent to the police and with the licenseplate the ticket is sent to his house or the police are alerted of him and pull him over and give him the ticket. A similar device is used in Europe when a person runs a redlight. (But installing these things in almost every neighborhood or etc... would be a bit expensive).
By Stewie123
Maskone wrote:Ever hate those annoying folks who drive by your house with their bass system shaking your windows, walls, and floor? Waking up your children, preventing you from studying? The government has laws about regulating noise in residential areas but rarely enforced. What better way to enforce these laws with an EMP gun turret.

Mount this bad boy on a telephone pole in a residential area. When a driver passes by with audio levels prohibited in neighborhoods, the turret locks onto the car and fires an EMP blast. This will disable the car, the stupid car stereo, and anything else electrical.

Reward: sleep

Yea but then again if their car shuts down and is disabled, they might start swearing at the top of there lunges, would the EMP turrent shot at them also, disablizing their watch or somthing.
By Stewie123
EMP: electromagnetic pulse
n. (Abbr. EMP)

The pulse of intense electromagnetic radiation generated by certain physical events, especially by a nuclear explosion high above the earth.
By Opossum
I really like that idea. I'm getting tired of running after people with cricket bats and throwing bricks... ;-D

Is there anyway to set it up so that it catapults the vehicle into space or at least to the next town?
OFFSHORE
Finger Wheel Fidget Toy

A three inch wheel with rubber grip on the outside[…]

Makeover of backyard

Nothing to share but I definitely want to see the […]

Sticking Games

No fantasy but real sports. Professional level foo[…]

This must be very useful information. Thank you ve[…]