Taking pride in what you did at home or elsewhere? Want to recommend it to others? This is your chance!
By C-Chamberlain
Yes YOU can build a hovercraft like I did using material that you probably have laying around in your garage. This is not a high tech hovercraft like you might be imagining but it will get you off the ground and give the kids a thrill.
Materials needed: Plywood (4'x4' minimum size), gas or electric leaf blower, a tarp bit enough to fit over the plywood, utility knife or sharp jack knife, 8" hose clamps (qty6), coffee can lid, 1/4" bolt 2" long and nut to fit bolt, some small nails (approx 6 or so) and a staple gun. You will also need a 5/16" drill bit and a 2" hole saw.

Cut a 4' diameter disk out of the plywood.
Drill a 5/16" hole in the middle of the plywood disk.
Cut a 2" hole, two thirds (approx) from the edge to the middle.
Lay the disk on the tarp and fold the material over the disk and staple down near the perimiter on the top to hold in place temporarily.
Undo the hose clamps and connnect them all together to form one big 4' diameter hose clamp.
Place the monster hose clamp over disk and tighten over tarp material around the perimiter of the disk and tighten the hose clamp.
Trim away any extra material on the TOP of the disk you feel is unsightly.
Nail in place the hose clamp (yes, nail through the clamp into the side of the disk) but be sure NOT to pound the nails ALL THE WAY in because you'll be pulling them out someday when you need to replace the tarp material.
Flip the disk onto it's side and rest it against something.
Poke the 1/4" bolt through the center of the coffee can lid (this will act as a large washer) and push the bolt through the tarp and through the 5/16" hole in the center of the diks.
Attach the nut to the bolt.
Cut 1" slits radiating from the center of the disk all over the tarp. Be sure to avoid the area where the 2" hole is.
Lay back down on the ground (flat ground like a garage or driveway) and place the business end of the leaf blower in the hole.
Stand centered on the disk and turn on the leaf blower.
You should raise up off the ground a few inches and have about 1/4"-1/2" gap between you and the ground that you are riding on.
You may need to add a few more holes if you do not get off the ground. A good sence of balance is needed also.
You may need somone to give you a push to get you going or use a pole, gondola style, to maneuver around.
Get creative and try other modes of propulsion. If you are using an electric leaf blower... sorry, your options are as limited as your cord.

Good luck and Email me and let me know how it went when you built it.
Chamworks@hotmail.com
By n12
i aam gonna try to buld what u made but i have already seen a kinfd of hoverdixk it is likea huge hockey puck and it slightlly hovers off the ground and just as light kick sends it far a hard 1 sends it (literally ) flying
By 'The One'
That's awesome! You could use that idea to create 'hoverskates' or something like that! (Like that 'Shadow The Hedgehog). I've wanted to use something like that for ages. Are you planning on making something like this?
As for what you are talking about, a smaller version would not work unless you had some serious air pressure. The previous project works by weight distribution. a 4' diameter disk is over 1800 square inches, divide your weight (say 200lbs.) over that area and you would need .11 PSI to get you off the ground. Pretty easy to achive with a leaf blower. Now make the surface area smaller (like the size of a boot (12" diameter) and you would need 1.77 PSI (you would need to be able to support your whole weight on one foot to do a skating action) which may still be possible with a leaf blower... hmmm at first I thought your idea was a bit loony having shoe sized hover pads but seeing the math... it may just be possible. I guess I'll be working in the shop this weekend to see if it's possible. ;-D
B-) Good idea dude keep those brain cells active.
By 'The One'
Thanks mate! Do u know if it's possible yet?...Thanks for taking the time to see if it's possible. Any luck?
By C-Chamberlain
I have been busy with finishing a degree and family to get into the garage to see if it is possible. I plan on a back-pack model that will have the hoses going down the back of the legs to the shoe pads. Soon...

I'll post when done. Keep on me and I'll stay motivated to do it.
By Rishi
C-Chamberlain wrote:I have been busy with finishing a degree and family to get into the garage to see if it is possible. I plan on a back-pack model that will have the hoses going down the back of the legs to the shoe pads. Soon...

I'll post when done. Keep on me and I'll stay motivated to do it.
http://www.designnews.com/contents/pdf/ ... nGuide.pdf

How about the above?

rishi
By 'The One'
Thanks Rishi. It looks like it could be possible...What do you reckon C-Chamberlain? About the link. From the details and instructions given, do you think it could work? Also, how are you doing with the idea at the moment? Don't worry, if you aren't able to make it, I understand. We all have responsibilities and lives of our own, but if you can make it, give it a try. Cheers. Also, hope the degree's going fine, good luck with it. :-) ;-D
By Rishi
'The One' wrote:Thanks Rishi. It looks like it could be possible...What do you reckon C-Chamberlain? About the link. From the details and instructions given, do you think it could work? Also, how are you doing with the idea at the moment? Don't worry, if you aren't able to make it, I understand. We all have responsibilities and lives of our own, but if you can make it, give it a try. Cheers. Also, hope the degree's going fine, good luck with it. :-) ;-D
The link is from the respectable 'Machine Design' Magazine. This is based on a demonstrated working model. A friend of mine, who has already made hovercrafts using a bike engine and went on a lake surface is attempting to make this. I will post results. In case you want to contact him directly, his name is IRFAN ULLA (Irfan for short). Email:irfanulla at gmail.com

rishi
By 'The One'
That's cool, what do you think C-Chamberlain?
By 'The One'
Perhaps, could you ask him if he could try making hoverskates, Rishi? :-? :-)
By Rishi
'The One' wrote:Perhaps, could you ask him if he could try making hoverskates, Rishi? :-? :-)
Dear The One,

I shall. However, is not the prototype shown in the link a hover-skate?

rishi
By 'The One'
Well it's more of a 'hover board' but maybe it could be used as the same kind of thing, in a different form.
By 'The One'
...in the form of a hoverskate...
By xrx1113
my son and i made the disk with a gas leaf blower it works great ,but cant drive it.

i was thinking of putting a ducted shop fan from northern tool and suply on it; its really powerful pulls 3.8 amps , was thinking of trolling motor battery and a power inverter to power the fan.would put rudders behind the fan cord controled .

anyone think of a reason it wouldnt work?

thanks mark in fl
OFFSHORE
Finger Wheel Fidget Toy

A three inch wheel with rubber grip on the outside[…]

Makeover of backyard

Nothing to share but I definitely want to see the […]

Sticking Games

No fantasy but real sports. Professional level foo[…]

This must be very useful information. Thank you ve[…]