The main tank, brimful with ideas. Enjoy them, discuss them, take them. - Of course, this is also the #1 place for new submissions!
By magicat
I know food isn't allowed in libraries, but this is different. These would be little chips that could be implanted in the spine of a book. If the book went missing then it could be tracked down.

The chips would have to be hidden pretty well so that no one could remove them.
By Steve
Actually they wouldn't even have to be hidden - it would probably be good enough if they can't be removed without breaking the book.
By magicat
I was just thinking about the fact that if they were right on the cover someone could just pull it off and run away with the book.
I don't know what it's like where you live, but two guys stole 41 books from the public library here.
The libraries could have a thing that extracted the chip with no harm to the book.
By Rishi
Steve wrote:Actually they wouldn't even have to be hidden - it would probably be good enough if they can't be removed without breaking the book.
This is common on goods sold in stores. In the normal course of checking out the alarm on the object is deactivated. If it is sneaked out the detector at the exit raises an alarm.

The refinement needed for books is that when the book is returned the alarm has to be reset. The technology exists.

rishi
By magicat
I meant that if someone were to check-out a book and were to lose it the book could be tracked. There could be some privacy issues, but it would make the amount of lost-and-never-returned books alot less.
By Rishi
magicat wrote:I meant that if someone were to check-out a book and were to lose it the book could be tracked. There could be some privacy issues, but it would make the amount of lost-and-never-returned books alot less.
The same device can be used for tracking as well. Since it is not possible to include an infinite life powerpack with the device, the cost of tracking will be prohibitive. May be some first edition bible, dead sea scrolls, or such material may justify the expense. Such materials will be usually well guarded.

rishi
By magicat
They wouldn't have to be tracking it all the time. Only if it were to 'dissapear'(be stolen or lost etc.). They could be recharged when found again.
By magicat
By 'it' I did mean the book(s). And by 'they' I meant the chips.
By overcaffein8d
i heard about a library using RFID sensors to track down books...
By frogboy2089
My library uses RFID chips in all of its books, movies, and videos it has. To check out you just swipe your card or enter your # manually then put the borrowed material close to the checkout machine. And then you're done, checked out.
By SilverGhost
Yeah several libraries now use RFID tags to keep track of their book inventory. One major problem with how they are currently using them is they are opting for the cheaper non encrypted tags. These tags can easily be accessed and either wiped clean or even rewritten. The option of using encrypted tags would be more secure but they cost more to the consumer. :-)
By scottraine123
well if there was chips in the book coulndt you have sensors by the doors so an alarm would go off once the book has been removed. When someone has got their book overdue the chip is turned back on so they can find it on a gps, the libarian can then phone the book

hope it helps if i missed anything sorry
By brad
In stores, they use RFID mostly.
OFFSHORE
Finger Wheel Fidget Toy

A three inch wheel with rubber grip on the outside[…]

Makeover of backyard

Nothing to share but I definitely want to see the […]

Sticking Games

No fantasy but real sports. Professional level foo[…]

This must be very useful information. Thank you ve[…]