This is the place for all kinds of brainstorming. Anything goes. From time to time, the Sea of Chaos might also give birth to new forum categories.
By C-Chamberlain
So... lets say I heard of a guy who can see in the ultraviolet spectrum. He had some surgery on his catorax or maybe he was born with it and now he can see ultraviolet light. How could that be put to good use?
Obviuosly this is a loaded question...
By Rishi
C-Chamberlain wrote:So... lets say I heard of a guy who can see in the ultraviolet spectrum. He had some surgery on his catorax or maybe he was born with it and now he can see ultraviolet light. How could that be put to good use?
Obviuosly this is a loaded question...
We see by reflected light. The human eye is geared to see only the VIBGYOR part of the spectrum. There is quite a bit of infra-red around. A lot of IR sensitive visualizers are already available. There is no technical reason why a UV visualiser cannot be designed. However, there is very little UV reflection actually available. Most of the objects will absorb the UV incident on it. At the most they may fluoresce and emit visible or IR radiation.

Some insects do seem to have the ability to 'see' UV. Some flowers have a centre that reflects UV from sunlight. This apparently attracts the insects to the nectar in the flower. In the process pollination is effected.

If I remember right, Life magazine had a special issue on photography in 1969, whch carried some pictures, which were axctually shot through the eyes of such insects.

An interesting idea. May have some special application.

rishi
By AaronBurns
If you were too wear glasses or contacts that had a chemical composition to react to UVA and UVB light and be in constant fluctuation with the reaction then you could use a UVB/UVA light that might be better on your eye site indoors and outdoors as well as bringing in a new spectrum of site that would make you more aware of certain surfaces that either do or do not reflect Ultraviolet light making it safer to drive and a pair of sun glasses would be great with this technology provided the materials that are reacting do so before it hits the receptors of your eyes which would cause blindness very fast due to the damageing effect of full spectrum UVA/UVB light which could be seen by looking at the reaction of the lenses rather than the light itself.
I think it would make some kickin' sun glasses for a sunny day!
Kudos to you!
The higher definition, contrast, and detail that you would see would be greater.
This would provide better all around vision making distance, safer reaction time when driving, and just about any thing to do with seeing better provided you could still see under all conditions.
I leave only one question... what would it look like in a Black Light lit room? ;-D
By 'The One'
It sounds like a cool movie idea!...Anyone?...Someone could make a good plot for it...Oh yeah, of course, there are already superheroes such as 'Cyclops' from X-Men and 'Daredevil' by Marvel...but still, a good film idea...
By C-Chamberlain
Here's the thing guys, I can see ultraviolet light. I have been able to since I was a kid. What good could I use it for? The only really cool thing about it is the rainbow has an extra band. There is the normal rainbow, roygbiv, then a space and then an extra band below those. Also, I can see the ultraviolet "aura" (best word I can think of for it) around lights at night ouside the regular aura one would see when looking at lights at night. Other than that, I can't think of any other use for that bility. One frustrating thing is that since I have had this all my life, what do you see when you look at the sky or grass? We all have different numbers of receptors in our eyes that tell us reds and blues so everyone sees red a different shade than the next guy, but we all recognize it as "red." So what's to say that my blue in my mind might be purple in yours looking through my eyes. Go think.
By Rishi
C-Chamberlain wrote:Here's the thing guys, I can see ultraviolet light. I have been able to since I was a kid. What good could I use it for? The only really cool thing about it is the rainbow has an extra band. There is the normal rainbow, roygbiv, then a space and then an extra band below those. Also, I can see the ultraviolet "aura" (best word I can think of for it) around lights at night ouside the regular aura one would see when looking at lights at night. Other than that, I can't think of any other use for that bility. One frustrating thing is that since I have had this all my life, what do you see when you look at the sky or grass? We all have different numbers of receptors in our eyes that tell us reds and blues so everyone sees red a different shade than the next guy, but we all recognize it as "red." So what's to say that my blue in my mind might be purple in yours looking through my eyes. Go think.
You are right. The whole perception of the universe around us is subjective. By convention we say grass is green. Each one labels what he sees as the colour of grass as green. This is true of all senses I suppose.

rishi
By 'The One'
Guys, this is all so true, we all think of these questions from young to old. It's true isn't it, the fact that we could all be seeing colours thinking that each other sees those colours as exactly the same when we could each be seeing them as completely different from each other.

This could be one of the most important things which affects EVERYONE's moods and opinions in the entire world, because we get different reactions from different colours, so there will NEVER be a time when all human beings see 'eye-to-eye' so to speak (unless all humans were exactly the same - clones). This is probably what Hitler thought when he said he wanted everyone to have blond hair and blue eyes (even though the guy didn't have either of thost himself!).

Mind you, there's probably a good reason why we're all different in many ways other than JUST our eye colour, but I suppose, if our theory is true, then you probably see colours the same way people with the same eye colour do, as a natural sign of human communication to imply that you have an understanding with them and literally SEE things the way they do.

The problem is then, if this WAS found to be true (however they could), people could become 'eye-ist' (lol) or 'hair-ist' (LOL) which actually, many people already are (although they have no OFFICIAL evidence to back them up.).

The theory could prove that it is simply unfair for many people in the world because they may be unsuccessful in society and SEE things differently from 'successful' people. You can just imagine it now...Society making EXTREME changes in many years to come because of ideas like these.

Although, maybe it is not as far fetched as this. There is evidenceof this by the fact that many people seem to get very similar reactions and moods to the same thing(s). There are many examples, so many in fact that, er, I'm actually too tired to mention at the moment but feel free to make some examples, but many people seem to be able to tell the difference between light and dark so I guess we probably do see things not THAT differently from each other, maybe...
By 'The One'
Also, that's well cool, C-Chamberlain! Wicked! I can see it 'sort of' like you can, although it's not entirely clear and it doesn't really look violet...but I think I can still see it...
OFFSHORE
Finger Wheel Fidget Toy

A three inch wheel with rubber grip on the outside[…]

Makeover of backyard

Nothing to share but I definitely want to see the […]

Sticking Games

No fantasy but real sports. Professional level foo[…]

This must be very useful information. Thank you ve[…]