The main tank, brimful with ideas. Enjoy them, discuss them, take them. - Of course, this is also the #1 place for new submissions!
By Jim3Col
Well in the mountains or in places where the brakes are used very often, the brakes get very hot causing the brakes to fail. Well how about if a rim was designed in a spiral form to "pull" the air toward the inner rim (where the brakes are located) and would constantly keep the brakes cool.

Reward: These rims on my car
By probass16
good idea, but it may not be neccessary for everyone. you see those numbers under the DRIVE on your stick? well those are the lower gears, you use them in hilly areas so you don't have to use your brakes as much. they provide more base power when going uphill, and they slow you down a lot easyer going downhill. that way you dont' have to use your brakes so much. so next time you see a hill coming (if you live in one of these places) just lay off the gas and pop it into a lower gear. and if you have an automatic, just stay in the lower gears in the first place. the lower number you use, the more this effect will happen. it would be good for racers who dont' know how to turn properly though. but don't switch gears while you're in motion too much if you have an automatic trany, b/c it's bad for your transmition. and always let go of the gas completely when you do it.
By Steve
probass16 wrote:you see those numbers under the DRIVE on your stick? well those are the lower gears, you use them in hilly areas so you don't have to use your brakes as much.
Probass, please tune it down just a little bit - provoking people you don't know usually won't do you any good. Thanks! ;-D

It's true that many people don't use the lower gears as they should for slowing down the car. But there are certain situations where the brakes can still get hot, and no matter why they got hot, a system to keep them cooler would likely be helpful (be it just to save the lives of unskilled drivers).
By probass16
what? i wasn't trying to be offensive, i've just always been told "when describing something to someone, act like they don't know anything about your topic." this way there can be no questions, and anyone can understand it. i didn't know if they knew what they were. i didn't until last year. if i offended you in some way i'm sorry, didn't try to. and i said they would be good for some people. oh, and they can check their break fluid every once in a while, that's what used to happen to my car. there was a leak in the master break cylender.
By Steve
probass16 wrote:what? i wasn't trying to be offensive, i've just always been told "when describing something to someone, act like they don't know anything about your topic." this way there can be no questions, and anyone can understand it. i didn't know if they knew what they were. i didn't until last year. if i offended you in some way i'm sorry, didn't try to. and i said they would be good for some people. oh, and they can check their break fluid every once in a while, that's what used to happen to my car. there was a leak in the master break cylender.
I see. I thought you were being sarcastic - always remember that the internet was inventend for misunderstandings, someone who already saw the little numbers before might have been offended, so thanks for clarifying. ;-)
By probass16
no problem. always here to help, lol.
By Jim3Col
I didn't take it offensively but I drive a stick. I was also talking about big trucks too.Think about it, a 18 wheeler has many more gears than a regular car but the weight is alwayz pulling on it so the brakes get hot. And I agree that you should talk to people like they might not understand but don't break it down that much. Any more helpful hints?
By probass16
just stay in the lower gears as much as possible on hills. that's about it.
By Jim3Col
That also leads to higher RPMs which will eventually lead to the motor not lasting as long
By probass16
that is true, but you asked for a way to not use breaks that much, and that's it. you have to sacrefice something. that's what my friends do when they see a cop, they don't want to slam on the breaks b/c they can see the lights, so they downshift. that slows them down, and no breaklights. but that is also bad for your engine and transmition.
By Jim3Col
no...I never said to look for a way to use the brakes less. I merely said a way to keep the brakes cool. Anywayz, thats beside the point,ummmm....I would rather overheat the brakes then mess up the trany.
By probass16
ok, i'm sure you all know what the 67'-69' Shelby Mustang GT500 looks like (and if you don't, then you shouldn't be talking about cars in the first place, lol). well, the holes on the sides of the car, right behind the doors, are vents to cool off the brakes. and it looks awesome. so that is a practicle way to cool off the brakes on a car, and it's been done for a while. so just cut a fatty hole in your car (not recomended) and you'll have a cooling system. that's about all i can say to help you out on this subject.
Hey folks, I think your idea is being utilized in the brakes and rotor technology. Brembo brakes - rotors with holes allow air to pass through the rotors to cool it. Air is drawn out from the rotors because of Bernoulli's principle (higher air velocity outboard of the wheels create a low pressure and allows air to flow from inside the wheels out). If you put a windmill/ impeller design on the wheels, it fights against air flowing outward.

KH
By b00stingsx
They already have wheels that are designed to ventilate the front and rear brakes, my '86 mazda rx 7 had them from the factory. I agree though that a better wheel for large trucks needs to be designed...
OFFSHORE
Finger Wheel Fidget Toy

A three inch wheel with rubber grip on the outside[…]

Makeover of backyard

Nothing to share but I definitely want to see the […]

Sticking Games

No fantasy but real sports. Professional level foo[…]

This must be very useful information. Thank you ve[…]