The main tank, brimful with ideas. Enjoy them, discuss them, take them. - Of course, this is also the #1 place for new submissions!
By Maskone
Instead of saving to flash memory on your digital camera, wouldn't it be great if you can save to a wireless network drive? With the right setup, this would allow an almost unlimited amount of space for snapshots. You can take photos until you're out of battery.

Reward: the product
By MissPlayful
I would think that the only widely available system currently in place in many countries that you could use to wirelessly send your snapshots back to a network drive would be the mobile phone system. You could have a mobile phone built into your camera or visa versa, and I wouldn’t be surprised if mobile phone - digital camera combinations are already on the market. Does anyone reading this know if there are digital cameras on the market with built-in mobile phones you can use to send your digital snapshots back to a computer at base or wherever? Or you could use Bluetooth or similar to send the data wirelessly from camera to phone. I hope these suggestions make sense - if they don’t it’s because I know little about this topic!
By Steve
Where I live, they sell more mobiles with built-in cameras than actual cameras. The problem is that this has been invented so the phone companies can earn a fortune when people send MMS messages, but for sending an entire film it's just not feasible. Maybe the phone companies could offer a special, very cheap fee when you send pictures to your home number. :-?
By Rishi
The HUTCH mobile phone company has recently introduced a 'Click and Print' service in india. You shoot a picture on your cell phone. It is printed by a Kdak phto outlet and delivered to you.

Rishi
By MissPlayful
This is a summary of the situation as I see it, bearing in mind the comments of Steve and Rishi. Using a mobile phone is technically feasible but too expensive at present for the routine wireless transmission of “rolls” of digital images to a remote computer. Satellite phones would be even more expensive I presume. I know of no other currently available technology you could use to wirelessly transmit your images the long distances required.

I am sure that an immense amount of neuron activity around the planet is going into thinking about new ways of wirelessly transmitting large amounts of data cheaply over long distances, because the financial and business payoffs would be huge.

But there are other technological advances that might slowly solve your problem. Presumably the mobile phone network will continue to evolve towards transmitting greater amounts of data and maybe?? at lower cost. Longer lasting and cheaper batteries will be invented or they will evolve from present-day batteries. And the data storage capacity of digital cameras will continue to increase.
By Steve
Just a - presumably - stupid idea: there are so many millions of mobiles around, maybe it would be possible to build some kind of walkie-talkie technology into them, so the data could hop from one mobile to the next (and not via the phone company), much like the data on the internet hops from one network point to the next, until it reaches the destination. Now this wouldn't work in the Australian desert, but for densely populated areas it might be worth a thought. :-?
By Rishi
The Hutch-Nokia-Kodak offer in India gurarentees delivery of Kodak prints (a minimum of five prints) to any address in India for the equivalent of US$1and 20 cents (Including postage),which seems quite affordable.

The URL gives more details.
http://www.domain-b.com/industry/teleco ... aunch.html

50 Indian Rupees approximate one US Dollar.

Rishi
By Maskone
no no no... not via cell phones. Just the normal 802.11b wireless networks would be great.

Plus cell phones have such a crapy lens. I want to hook up a nice 58mm lens camera to a wireless network. I want to go to a wedding and take photos until my fingers hurt. Something like that!
By Rishi
It's true that the cellphone camera has poor optics. Not Zeiss. However some cellphone services offer broad band internet connection. It should bepossible to hook up a digital camera to this and transfer the pics to the photo dealer under arrangement.

Rishi
OFFSHORE
Finger Wheel Fidget Toy

A three inch wheel with rubber grip on the outside[…]

Makeover of backyard

Nothing to share but I definitely want to see the […]

Sticking Games

No fantasy but real sports. Professional level foo[…]

This must be very useful information. Thank you ve[…]