The main tank, brimful with ideas. Enjoy them, discuss them, take them. - Of course, this is also the #1 place for new submissions!
By agent
I searched google, and it looks like there is a universal spare tire already in production. However, they could also be stocked at strategic locations along the roads; at locations like emergency phone / wireless internet connections. By not having to carry a spare tire, gas will be saved.

Reward: See it implemented
By 1313
I have to wonder how much does it cost in fuel to carry that spare tyre around. We also carry fuel cans in the boot of our cars, and very rarely have to use them. Once again extra weight and extra fuel usage. If my can is half full which should be enough to get me to the next service station. How much money do I save on fuel by not carrying the extra weight???
By Rishi
1313 wrote:I have to wonder how much does it cost in fuel to carry that spare tyre around. We also carry fuel cans in the boot of our cars, and very rarely have to use them. Once again extra weight and extra fuel usage. If my can is half full which should be enough to get me to the next service station. How much money do I save on fuel by not carrying the extra weight???
You are right. Very little saving will result . A lot of fuel is spent in overcoming wind resistance, friction with the road and such issues which are not directly related to the payload.

If one actually accounts for everything, it may actually mean more loss due to having to reach the point of availability and getting back on track to one's original route. There is also the cost of maintaining such a 24x7 service.

Rishi
By 1313
Does anyone know how much I would save for every pound/kilo of excess weight I remove from my car???
By Jonathan D
It would depend on the torque and horsepower of a car.

If you have a Dodge Ram, you could add 20 spare tires and not have a fuel economy difference.

If you have a Ford Pinto and add a tire perhaps there is a slight change.

I agree with Rishi, its just not worth it.
OFFSHORE
Finger Wheel Fidget Toy

A three inch wheel with rubber grip on the outside[…]

Makeover of backyard

Nothing to share but I definitely want to see the […]

Sticking Games

No fantasy but real sports. Professional level foo[…]

This must be very useful information. Thank you ve[…]