The main tank, brimful with ideas. Enjoy them, discuss them, take them. - Of course, this is also the #1 place for new submissions!
By Willlxx
I have been diagnosed with a condition called sleep aponea meaning I snore badly and wake up my body many times during the night resulting in poor sleep patterns and constant tiredness. The traditional remedy is a process called CPAP where you sleep in a mask and air is forced down your throat to prevent your body thinking it's suffocating and unconsciously not resting, but as I live in the impoverished UK my local health service cannot afford to treat me, they also class it as an unimportant condition despite my doctor saying it could be fatal, read what you like into the UK's reputation for health provision, I would like to pay to have my treatment abroad but don't know how to process that part of it.

Anyways I have an idea of implanting metallic strips into my neck and then wearing a collar with magnets desined to attach to the strips to the same polarity so as to magnetically repel the strips when the throat constricts and prevent a blockage of the airway, therefore keeping the airway open and preventing aponea. Any ENT surgeons out there interested inusing me as a guinea pig?

Reward: Advisory / developmental role?
By ToobaDood
Will,
I have sleep aponea too. I wear a dental device called a "Clearway" device. It looks like two (top and bottom) mouthguards that an athlete would wear over his teeth so that he does not bite his tongue, but they are connected by a steel wire frame. The theory is that if you keep the jaw forward at night, it wont recede and cause your tongue to fall into the back of the throat and cut off the air. It completely stopped me from "holding my breath" as I sleep. So, you may want to check with dentists instead of ENT people.
Cheers,
John
By Rishi
Willlxx wrote:I have been diagnosed with a condition called sleep aponea meaning I snore badly and wake up my body many times during the night resulting in poor sleep patterns and constant tiredness. The traditional remedy is a process called CPAP where you sleep in a mask and air is forced down your throat to prevent your body thinking it's suffocating and unconsciously not resting, but as I live in the impoverished UK my local health service cannot afford to treat me, they also class it as an unimportant condition despite my doctor saying it could be fatal, read what you like into the UK's reputation for health provision, I would like to pay to have my treatment abroad but don't know how to process that part of it.

Anyways I have an idea of implanting metallic strips into my neck and then wearing a collar with magnets desined to attach to the strips to the same polarity so as to magnetically repel the strips when the throat constricts and prevent a blockage of the airway, therefore keeping the airway open and preventing aponea. Any ENT surgeons out there interested inusing me as a guinea pig?

Reward: Advisory / developmental role?
Clinical trials in UK as well as all of Europe and the US are governed by strict regulations following the principles set out at the Helsinki Convention on human experimentation.

No surgeon will take up the offer without a detailed documentation of engineering, fuctional, and animal trials. Even after that, a legally valid, signed informed consent is needed.

Of course, no one can prevent some one experimenting on oneself. Please be very careful in attempting anything like what you suggest on yourself without a detailed study.

In 1957 the famous British biologist J.B.S Haldane visited the university where I was studying and gave a talk on how to be one's own rabbit for tests. I met him after the talk. All fired up I went off to my lab and tried a drop of phenol on the back of my hand. It is 2006 now and the scar is still there, even though the memory of the pain is faded. Having said that, I must confess that I still am my own rabbit, though I act tempered with caution.

If I find some thing helpful for sleep apnea I shall post here.

rishi
By Michael D. Grissom
I suffered with this for 44 years and then 17 years ago I solved the problem with a bed configuration like this: Image

No longer an insomniac because I now fall asleep almost instantly and sleep so comfortably that I never toss & turn during the night. With my head at a down angle my tongue and lower jaw fall forward which eliminated the snoring completely.

This sleep position can be simulated with shaped pillows to raise your hips and chest off the bed and then support your forehead in a down position at the eyebrows on a roll of paper towels or the like (something much firmer than a pillow).

It works so well for me that I haven't slept any other way since 1991. I hope it works for you.

The image of the bed I've included was illustrated from a combination of various Google images from keywords MASSAGE TABLE. I modified an image to conform to my idea of how I want to build my next bed.

Good luck!
OFFSHORE
Finger Wheel Fidget Toy

A three inch wheel with rubber grip on the outside[…]

Makeover of backyard

Nothing to share but I definitely want to see the […]

Sticking Games

No fantasy but real sports. Professional level foo[…]

This must be very useful information. Thank you ve[…]