The main tank, brimful with ideas. Enjoy them, discuss them, take them. - Of course, this is also the #1 place for new submissions!
By onepoundcar
#9860
A protective alloy wheel wax that contains a very fine glitter to give your alloy wheels that even greater shine to them once used. protects against road salts/tar/brake dust etc. To be sold in small shoe polish tins and to resemble the texture and look of Vaseline.
User avatar
By AaronBurns
#10275
I had the same idea for the whole car and the materials would be cheap and easy to use!
Silver Nitrate is what mirrors are made from and you could add mirror flecks all over the car and the wheels and roll like a colored mirror blinding every one coming down the raod! Ha
Great idea! ;-D
By Rishi
#10280
AaronBurns wrote:I had the same idea for the whole car and the materials would be cheap and easy to use!
Silver Nitrate is what mirrors are made from and you could add mirror flecks all over the car and the wheels and roll like a colored mirror blinding every one coming down the raod! Ha
Great idea! ;-D


Silver Nitrate will turn black on exposure to light. What you refer to is the mirroring done by electrless silver deposition from a silver nitrate bath. Metallic silver tarnishes very fast on exposure to sulphur in the atmosphere. The good old butler's black thumb comes from polishing the family silver by removing the tarnish.

Many systems are probably already available, at least in the USA.
How about the demo on Simoniz System 5 in the following:

http://www.simonizusa.com

rishi
User avatar
By AaronBurns
#10281
Yes, you are right about the silver nitrate.
But if you were to place it into the paint as a type of metallic particle it wouldn't deteriorate any faster than the mirrors on the sides of your car that takes many years of abuse in sun light.
Those mirrors are not reall too preserved (Sort of to say direct exposure to sun light).
I was just trying to come up with a better metallic flake paint.
So, I ask you if it is possible to preserve silver nitrate with in the paint during the painting process and have an even better shine than today's paint flakes?
It's kind of off the subject, but that's where it led me.
The ideas would be tied together by coating all exterior sufaces (With silver nitate or literally mirror flakes) including the mag wheels during a surface coating process.
Can that be done. ;-D
By Rishi
#10283
AaronBurns wrote:Yes, you are right about the silver nitrate.
But if you were to place it into the paint as a type of metallic particle it wouldn't deteriorate any faster than the mirrors on the sides of your car that takes many years of abuse in sun light.
Those mirrors are not reall too preserved (Sort of to say direct exposure to sun light).
I was just trying to come up with a better metallic flake paint.
So, I ask you if it is possible to preserve silver nitrate with in the paint during the painting process and have an even better shine than today's paint flakes?
It's kind of off the subject, but that's where it led me.
The ideas would be tied together by coating all exterior sufaces (With silver nitate or literally mirror flakes) including the mag wheels during a surface coating process.
Can that be done. ;-D


Silver mirrors are deposited on the back surface of the glass. On top of this a layer of copper is electroplated. In effect the silver is sanwitched between glass on the front and Copper at the back. It therefore does not see the environment at all. Sunlight has no effect on the silver metal.

To come back to your original idea, please check out the following:

http://www.steel-it.com/products.htm

This is a speciality Stainless steel paint, which is stainless steel flakes in a polymer carrier.

rishi
User avatar
By AaronBurns
#10285
Why not just cover your cars surface in shrink wrap mylar silver?
Cheap application (Heat gun) and just like tinting your windows.
You would be the shinniest car on the road and better than stainless steel.
Nothing brighter than Silver mylar coating your car.
If it would be incorporated in to the shrink wrap material a new kind of shine where you would get ticketed by the Police every time you drove it.
Here in America you are not allowed to add any thing impeading to the vision of others on the road, but very tempting! Ha! ;-D
By Rishi
#10296
AaronBurns wrote:Why not just cover your cars surface in shrink wrap mylar silver?
Cheap application (Heat gun) and just like tinting your windows.
You would be the shinniest car on the road and better than stainless steel.
Nothing brighter than Silver mylar coating your car.
If it would be incorporated in to the shrink wrap material a new kind of shine where you would get ticketed by the Police every time you drove it.
Here in America you are not allowed to add any thing impeading to the vision of others on the road, but very tempting! Ha! ;-D


It would look tawdry. After all it is like tinsel. Alright for gift wrapping but not durable. Instead, Stainless Steel clad sheets are available. Make the car shell out of this bare metal and give it a mirror polish. Protect the surface with a clear coat, if you like, to give water repellancy (Reminded of an old Hollywood movie, The solid Gold Cadillac).

If as you suggested,the driver ends up in the clink, the time can be served(!?) by giving same treatment to the jail bars. That would dazzle the eyes of the guard when he fklashes his light on the bars to see what the inmate is upto.

rishi
OFFSHORE

Is there anymore need for physical cards? I suppos[…]

A Place for problems and solutions

This is a really good proposal. One title could be[…]

Team Innovating Forum

Are there forums for team innovating? Normally peo[…]

Whats your favorite Xbox game?

Mine is outrun2