The main tank, brimful with ideas. Enjoy them, discuss them, take them. - Of course, this is also the #1 place for new submissions!
By amorriso
A computer program that tests peoples eyes to find their eyeglass prescription. It could duplicate the effects of the machine with the lenses that the optometrist makes you look through. The person would look at the computer screen without any glasses on and select which of two images looks clearer repeatedly, just like at the optometrist. The computer program would emulate the effect of an eyeglass lens. The image would look like what a person with perfect vision would see if he put on someones eyeglasses. Of course to someone who needed that eyeglass prescription, the image would look clear. This system would save money because you would not need the expensive equipment at the optometrist, and people could test themselves at home to make sure that they had the best eyeglass prescription.

Reward: A free copy of the software.
By trainstroker
It wouldnt work. the machine at the doctor's office has you look through different lenses, which bend light differently. a computer screen is a computer screen, which displays the same image for everyone, no matter what you do. this is probably impossible without having some kind of light manipulation aka glasses
By amorriso
There are two questions involved here:
1) Is there an image that you could display on a computer screen that would look clear to someone with a specific vision problem (e.g. myopia, astigmatism) and blurry otherwise?
2) If there is, then can you deduce that person's visual defect and the eyeglass prescription necessary to correct it by knowing which image looks clear to them?

If the answer to both questions is "Yes" then my idea is doable; otherwise it isn't.
By kaiguy57
Could you possibly use the cheap 3D glasses that seem to be everywhere somehow...? Just a thought. I'm not sure if that would help, but even a pseudo-accurate eye test using those might be beneficial for some people.
By trainstroker
amorriso wrote:There are two questions involved here:
1) Is there an image that you could display on a computer screen that would look clear to someone with a specific vision problem (e.g. myopia, astigmatism) and blurry otherwise?
2) If there is, then can you deduce that person's visual defect and the eyeglass prescription necessary to correct it by knowing which image looks clear to them?

If the answer to both questions is "Yes" then my idea is doable; otherwise it isn't.
1. not really no, except colorblindness, but on screen colorblind tests prove little because they arent accurate colorwise, and there are many different types of monitors. thats why colorblind tests are run via paper, because it is accurate for everyone, and the light bounce off the same.
2. no because 1 isnt true
By kaiguy57
kaiguy57 wrote:Could you possibly use the cheap 3D glasses that seem to be everywhere somehow...? Just a thought. I'm not sure if that would help, but even a pseudo-accurate eye test using those might be beneficial for some people.
That was dumb of me to say. I realized that this would only have anything to do with eye coordination (e.g. lazy eyes) and not blurry vision.
By Jagadeesh
good idea. you can do this using a web cam. when eyes are kept near the web cam the software checks for its retina structure etc. or you can even think of an retina recognition security software.
OFFSHORE
Finger Wheel Fidget Toy

A three inch wheel with rubber grip on the outside[…]

Makeover of backyard

Nothing to share but I definitely want to see the […]

Sticking Games

No fantasy but real sports. Professional level foo[…]

This must be very useful information. Thank you ve[…]