The main tank, brimful with ideas. Enjoy them, discuss them, take them. - Of course, this is also the #1 place for new submissions!
By bob12
It mays seem foolish, but when you see pressure at work and how it drives many tools I have thougth it could be possible. So the idea is why not use pressure to drive directly the wheels or the shaft. The pressure could be generated from chemical mixture.

Reward: A car
By pwjthegreat
since you want to use pressure, why not create a car that works like those in "The Flintstones"? whereby you move and stop the car by 'pedalling' with your legs???
By Steve
I used to have one of those when I was 4 years old. (I think it was called a "Kettcar"?) It was just fine for getting to the sandbox and back, but for commuting to work you would probably need a LOT of training...
By Sedgewick
this would work if all the parts of the engine were made of plastic, there have been model airplanes that run on compressed air so on a larger scale using the bottom frame of the car as an air tank you can see where i am going with this.
By griphonman
This guy may have an idea. Consider the toys "Air Hogs." In addition I have often wondered myself why Tonka has not gotten into the car industry. Question is how to generate the air pressure?
By FlatTop808
Some large earthmoving machines work on a similar principal: hydraulics. The engine powers a pump to pressurize a fluid that is then routed to motors in the hubs of the wheels. Not very efficient, I would guess, because of the fricional losses in the lines. But it does allow them freedom of design (no drive shafts or axles to deal with) and gives tremendous torque. But you still have an engine driving the pump.
By maj2k3
This idea could be quite wonderfull to create instead of air pressure you could use reactive chemicals or combustion pressure.
anyway you try it you gotta focus that pressure.
there is one minor set back if a vehicle was designed using these principles there would be no control over speed not unless the pressure and the braking system was controlled using a
pre-programmed on board computer.
for this design to work you would need to have a feed of fuel which wouldnt run out while you are travelling therefore having a air intake in the front connected to the pressurizing chamber would be appropiate.
By Rishi
While conceptually interesting compressed gas powered car may not work on a large scale.

ENO'S Fruit Salts (Sodium-bi-carbonate and Tartaric acid) is the simplest example, which produces carbon-di-oxide. Though non-toxic it does pollute the environment with greenhouse gas. Any gas other than hydrogen or oxygen is not easy to poduce by chemical interaction. A huge tonnage of chemicals has to be carried to power even a small car. Spent chemicals have to be dumped. Does not seem workable.

If the idea is to use a tank of compressed air, there are other issues. It will be highly energy inefficient. Heavy tanks will be needed to store the gas. A steam powered car using external combustion may be a better option using the same idea of a compressed gas, which in this case is totally non polluting and can be condensed back and fully recycled.

rishi
By pura vida
there was an experiment of a 20kilo (I'm sure I heard it right) car that runs on hydraulics and air pressure and can fit a trunk and seats for 4 people
By pura vida
another thing I remember seeing is a hovering scooter thing for $15mil now, but may be availabe in the future
By swimmer
the only way to store a large quantity of energy is chemical solutions and fuel . other means are polluting or hazardous and dangerous like the nuclear power , or the tnt chemicals .

but there is a very good enrgy source that scientists are working on today and its "water" . simple H2 O2 combustion has high efficiency and no pollution .... i am sure everyone know the rest .

when humanity takes a step forward , it wont take a step back .
OFFSHORE
Finger Wheel Fidget Toy

A three inch wheel with rubber grip on the outside[…]

Makeover of backyard

Nothing to share but I definitely want to see the […]

Sticking Games

No fantasy but real sports. Professional level foo[…]

This must be very useful information. Thank you ve[…]