The main tank, brimful with ideas. Enjoy them, discuss them, take them. - Of course, this is also the #1 place for new submissions!
By AaronAgassi
And this solves which problem?
By Michael D. Grissom
Argassi <--- I think it is suppose to address (solve) overpopulation but, I have only seen overpopulation in areas where people are restricted (for numerous reasons usually outside of their control) from moving. I see this as an attempt to create new areas to live rather than go to war to facilitate use of the immense amount of unused land that we already have available (see "majed" post above). If someone were to invent a one-time pill that eliminates all prejudices in the world,.. all this would be unnecessary.

Uh Oh,... I just found out that your skin color is RGB 243/217/252 and mine is RGB 222/174/241, therefore, I am no longer allowed to talk to you and,... our webmaster, RGB 177/83/216, will probably have to bar us both from this forum. I'll sure be glad when computers are used to keep us all separated by differences indistinguishable by the human senses.

I definitely must design an emoticon for sarcasm! :-D
By AaronAgassi
If a new population of gilled people are to be engineered, then that would actually increase population. Only if people already alive could acquire gills by some gene therapy retrofit or sophisticated prosthethis, would that actually relieve population density on land.

However, even if gilled people are to be engineered for the job, a work force capable of the exploitation of vast suboceanic resources could be a great economic boon to all. Because the greater issues with population are resources and distribution thereof.

However, in the meantime until any such technologies become feasable, diving gear, preasurized under sea habatats and/or telerobotics will be the more practical much as in astrowork.
By cntrlv
i've always loved the idea of living on my own island so i like to keep up on the tech.

check the link to see the coolest island project to date!

http://www.palm.ae/
By AaronAgassi
And how would you like to discuss this?
By Jim10
This palm island is really incredible...just the concept of this huge shape, visable form earth...as a logo, a symbol is cool enough...let alone an actual island community. The web site is beautiful as well...done by real pros. I'm sure these prperties are quite pricey...comparable to staying at that famous, sail-shaped island hotel in Dubai...has anyone seen that one as well? This progect I'm sure will stimulate more duscussion and acutal development of island communities...far beyond the limits of this discussion board. Jim.
By Jim10
A ps to the Palm Island community now being developed in Dubai: A larger project is on the boards down the coast from the Palms...it will be a grouping of larger man-made islands each resembling in shape one of the land masses of Earth. From space, the grouping approximates a layed out world map. Like Palm Island, one can purchase an estate on one of the continents of your choosing. And yes...vegitation, even night life, etc., will coordinate with the real continent of origin. Pretty cool!...
By Target359
sounds like an oil platform with dirt/sand on top. -target
By Daryl666
well all we have to start doing is using renewable fuel to power larger sections or our power grid and begin collecting rain water in a massive water main aswell as desalinising the ocean water ( I wounder how fast the water level in the ocean would drop if nevada only relied on desalinised ocean water) water shortage problem solved with massive continental water main and ocean level solved by tying it up in the cities.
By FrozenInEdmonton
I don’t think the problem is too little land. I think we just need less people. Moving mountains of land in to the ocean would be very expensive. When I did my landscaping in my yard dirt was about $100 a truck load. I put ten truck loads in to my 50' x 75' back yard and raised it about 4-12 inches. So I would say it would make more sense to just prevent more from being born that we can’t take care of. Any one who has watched TV and seen the commercials showing all the sick and dieing children around the world should be asking them selves why are there so many of them and how is saving them without stopping more from being born going to change anything.
By janwillem89
They made new land in Japan fo an aiprort. In holland they made new land for farming. About 2412,30 km² sea changed into land, and it gives space for 341.500 people. So it is possible, if the sea is not too deep (here it was about 2 tot 4 meters deep).

But, it is not a nice place to live. It is flat, straight and empty. many new people got (and get) depressed in this new born land.

So, what to do about that?

Jan, student land and watermanagement / Holland
By sneezyalex
A bigger problem is global warming. We are killing the ozone. Dosn't matter how mush space we have to put people. We better start cleaning the earth or we better start finding a new planet to live on! :-C
By Fishy Bizniss
i like this one ive always wanted my own island so i can create my own laws and stuff! cuz this system is really messed up... and i doubt ill be the first black president! so thats an awesome idea if everyone had their own island that would put an end to war right?
well maybe not but its a thought right? B-)
By sneezyalex
How about we just take half the population ship it off into space never to be seen again, ban cars and make everyone use bikes, and stop the burning of fossil fuels and go back to being more primative. Then the world is saved and we don't need more land. Saved though dull. ;-D
OFFSHORE
Finger Wheel Fidget Toy

A three inch wheel with rubber grip on the outside[…]

Makeover of backyard

Nothing to share but I definitely want to see the […]

Sticking Games

No fantasy but real sports. Professional level foo[…]

This must be very useful information. Thank you ve[…]